I've Got My Hands on a i7-9750H. Here Are Some Benchmarks... Looking for test requests!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by GizmoSlip, Apr 23, 2019.

1. GizmoSlip

GizmoSlip Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I got my hands on a MSI GT75 with i7-9750H early. I can give you some of the baseline specs here. I also wanted to give you guys some benchmarks that I ran. See below. I am also curious what tests you guys really want to see for a CPU centered test? I tested Cinebench R15 and a few others, but I feel like there are probably some more out there people care about. Let me know!

Another thing to note is that i9-9980HK (and others) is also announced, and it's a 8 core unlocked CPU that should be pretty close to the 9900K in performance, but designed for laptops.

Also, I wanted to shoutout HIDEvolution for sending this out for me to review!

i7-9750H
    6 Cores
    12 Threads
    Max Single Core Clock: 4.5 Ghz
    All Core Clock: 4.0
    Full Load Power Draw: 55-60 Watts
    Maintains 3.99 ghz steady during stress test

[​IMG]

Of course, this is with a thick and heavy chassis with ample cooling, so keep that in mind. This laptop also had its cooling upgrades done from HIDEvolution, including bottom chassis upgrade and Thermal Grizzly.

I've done a number of benchmarks. I've included them in this video here:

Here are some quick screen grabs from the video:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Came undervolted by -0.050 stock. Not sure if MSI or HIDEvolution did this. I am assuming MSI did though.
    The CPU was unstable if I increased the undervolt to -0.080. So this chip was not undervolt friendly, though it doesn't matter much in this huge chassis. You won't get any performance gains since its not being throttled anyway.

Cheers!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  2. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the results! Seems like we got a hot monster on our hands

3. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    If you want a good CPU test - get Cinebench R20 and test it against non-throttling 8750h. I think that would be the best comparison between such CPUs.

jaybee83 likes this.
  4. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And run the same test over and over like 7 times to make sure the results aren't cheesed

jaybee83 likes this.
  5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You can set R20 to loop forever if you want (just set # of seconds)
    So you only need to run it "once". It will just keep re-rendering and doing more scores automatically.

raz8020 and jaybee83 like this.
  6. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Impressive

7. GizmoSlip

GizmoSlip Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, though its only seemingly small improvement in something like Cinebench, we also have a bigger overall improvement in games, interestingly enough.

I will probably start using R20 in future reviews soon. I still see R15 used more often, so it seems more comparable still.

I always run a minimum of five runs to see if the chip starts throttling at all. If it's not stable, I typically run more tests to see if heat saturation builds up, etc.

That is useful! I manually run the loops myself with only about 1/2 second break in between for R15.

raz8020 and Falkentyne like this.
  8. FalconCMH

FalconCMH Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's awesome. I am interested in the MSI GT75 TITAN 4K-247. It has the Intel® Coffee Lake HR i9-9980HK in it. But two things that bummed me out. One no 10 Gbs network port like in my MSI GT75 TITAN-094. And they did not have the upgrade option on the WIFI for Intel WIFI 6 (AX). I know I can get 10 Gbs through the thunderbolt port with a device I saw so maybe that solves one issue. But I definitely want the Intel WIFI 6 card. I think I read somewhere it costs the reseller like ~$17 (not sure if that had Bluetooth might be more with it but still).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  9. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Really cool they gave it an undervolt stock. Laptop chips have basically required it for the last few years. So many reviews blasted various laptops for having thermal problems, when it was a user problem. First thing I do is undervolt, and magically all the thermal problems go away. Many reviewers don't do this or don't know to do it and want to generate click bait with thermal complaints. This could easily be prevented by having decent thermal paste+pads+undervolt from the manufacturer.

HOWEVER, if this chip comes with a stock undervolt and is unstable with a further tweaking, I could foresee issues... What if the -.050mV undervolt isn't enough in a thin/light chassis? If you can't further undervolt, there may be legitimate thermal issues. This is just a thought, but I'd like to see this verified.

That said, I'm not in the market for a new laptop in this gen so it is all just academic for me o_O;)

10. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    still some UV headroom left between -50 and -80 mV.... i usually test in 5 mV steps :)

i can see that HIDEvolution also tweaked the maximum allowed wattages and amperage in xtu, kudos to that :) u can bet that ALL tweaks were implemented by HID and not MSI, btw ;)

what do you mean by: best cpu settings throttled the score? pls elaborate on that.