It's time again for a new laptop!

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by xAdonis, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xAdonis

xAdonis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Like I said, I can wait a few more months if it means I will be getting in on the newest tech. Do you think it will really be worth it?

2. Serg

Serg Nowhere - Everywhere

Reputations:
    check out the link on my sig...
    Intel said that it would reach up to 3.06GHz on mainstream processors...that is a huge leap on the current ones...and even better, you could get the Montevina for less when the newer ones come...
    Im waiting for them, in fact...and if not too late the Arrandale would even be better...

3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you need, then buy. Even if you wait six months after you buy the next latest and greatest thing will be out and you'll be right back where you started. Given the usage, I doubt you need the latest and greatest either. Plus it there's usually a premium for it.

4. xAdonis

Reputations:
    Well, I just don't want to make the mistake of buying a Pentium D three months before the Core 2 Duo comes out, if you get my meaning.

5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Pentium D is a very good CPU given the usage.

6. xAdonis

Reputations:
    Alright, I have another good question. What is the difference between the latitude e5500 and the e6500? I like the way the e5500's screen looks better than the e6500 - but what are the other core differences?

The specs look pretty much the same, but Dell wouldn't sell to notebooks w/ the same specs for the same price with slightly different borders around their lcd's would they?

edit: Should have just google-d it. Looks like the difference is the e6500 has some other features, bluetooth and backlit keyboard being the two most prominent. Also it looks like its a more durable case.

7. Paul_H

Paul_H Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been looking at the Latitudes as I consider replacing my MacBook Pro.

Some, differences are that weight and video cards available. The E5500 is listed as starting at 6.3lbs and the E6500 at 5.3lbs. The E5500 looks like it only has the integrated graphics and the E6500 has either integrated or dedicated Nvidia graphics.

--
    Paul

8. xAdonis

Reputations:
    I've been jumping around from notebook to notebook for the last few days, and I can't seem to make up my mind.

The T500 has about the perfect specs, but I don't care for its appearance.

I LOVE the Latitude e6500, but I don't think its GPU will be enough to "future proof" the laptop.

I am kind of looking to buy my laptop and just forget about my desktop, or maybe even sell it. The more I look the more frustrated I get that my "perfect" laptop doesn't exist.

I really don't need a super high end CPU, I have a spare 320GB 7200RPM 1.5inch drive. And there are a ton of systems out there with the right specs. I just want something durable, clean looking, and with a reasonable GPU.

I really like the price/specs of a used ASUS G50VT-X1, but it looks like the laptop I would have wanted when I was in junior high and I guess the batt life is a little on the low end.

Any more suggestions guys?

BTW, I am not bashing Lenovo, they make an outstanding product and they work great for a lot of people. There is just something about that inward curve on the lid, and the red trackpoint that I find unappealing. I figure if I'm making this kind of investment I should probably like the way my machine looks.

9. xAdonis

Reputations:
    I have been looking into the m1530, the SXPS16, and the Studio 15, any advice on these?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.