It's official, Vaio's been sold

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by hawc1506, Feb 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawc1506

hawc1506 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    "Amid reforming its TV arm (and splitting it into a stand-alone entity), it's going to sell its PC business and VAIO brand to Japan Industrial Partners (JIP), with the final deal set to be done by the end of March 2014."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/06/sony-sells-vaio/

:(

Now what? No replacement for my Vaio Z12...

2. somemale

somemale Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wanted to get a vaio pro 11 or 13 but wanted to wait for a 2014 refresh. Should I assume there will not be one this year?

mandersen likes this.
  3. McMagnus

McMagnus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A bit sad, but since the VAIO branding and hopefully a bunch of the hi-tech engineers comes along to JIP, perhaps they will try to turn back the clock to the last successful VAIOs to try to repeat the success with new HW.

The laptop PC is *not* dead. Sure, perhaps 80-90% of old laptop buyers are now content with a tablet, but professionals/consultants wanting to work - at the office, at home, at the customer - REQUIRE a slim, fast laptop. As long as JIP realizes this, they will be able to sell a whole lot of VAIOs.

mandersen likes this.
  4. neofx19

neofx19 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is incredibly sad news for Vaio Owners. I literally just got a Sony Vaio Pro 13 less than 48 hours ago. Luckily I got it $300 dollars off the retail price of $1299. Now comes the dilemna, should I keep the Vaio Pro 13 or return it to the store for an exchange...? I have 5 days left to decide...

5. Steve78

Steve78 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Your post doesn't make any sense. Why are you thinking of returning it?

6. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Biggest issue now will be driver support for future OS updates, notably windows 9 or whatever it will be called. Sony was never a leader in driver support, so it will be interesting how long term future driver updates will be affected.

7. Steve78

Reputations:
    Sony's driver support (or lack of!) was a disgrace. I was also not happy that they didn't provide official Windows 8 driver support for the VPC-Z1 models. The Windows 7 updates were few and far between and when I pay £2200 for a notebook I expect some sort of support! And Sony wonder why people take their business to rivals such as Apple, Samsung & Lenovo.

I can't help but feel that now the Vaio team will no longer have Sony putting restraint upon what they can do, the new owners may let them go ahead and design the 'Z' we have all been waiting for.

8. Larz9220

Larz9220 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    About to buy Pro 13 out of complete panic from these news

The new models are all named SVP1322 but I can only find Windows 7 drivers for SVP1321, will these drivers work on the SVP1322 refresh?

9. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I feel such a Z series that people are wishing for might not arrive at all and died with this sale My reasoning is Sony's technical prowess, where the team was able to miniaturize technology to such a level that it could make a device thinner than it would normally be. Such components come at a cost due to the development, but this is why such models cost arms and legs. Although now lots of the tech is small enough to make the devices thin and light but that original Sony factor will be missing I feel from the new devices., not to mention the Sony name.

One can argue that IBM sold their division to Lenovo which benefited significantly from the purchase and is making very good laptops right now. But I feel this took a few years after the purchase.

I won't be surprised if 5 years or more have passed and Sony will be buying back the Vaio name, assuming it still exists.

10. Steve78

Reputations:
    Why? And why buy a machine that has so many documented issues? Madness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.