Itronix XR-1 IX270 rugged laptop bluetooth adapter

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by tenesu, Nov 16, 2017.

1. tenesu

tenesu Newbie

Reputations:
    I've installed ad blocker but for some reason they wouldn't always block some of those little ads on various forum websites. I have in the past edited the host file to reject certain servers. However since I've re-installed the OS a few times I forgot to save a copy of the host file and just forgot about it.

Websites such as ebay and others often take information and connect to other websites in the backgound. I'm not certain if there is a program that could monitor a website and provide a url list. To keep a particular website running well and to prevent running scripts and making connections to other websites and urls may be difficult and time consuming.

One other problem I come across when web surfing under Vista x64 is everything starts to bog down because the latest version of Firefox 52 starts to hog memory requiring more than a gig memory. So I need to shut down firefox, clean and reduce the PC's memory using a memory cleaner the restart FireFox. You then can pull up a past history and select which urls you want to load.

I'm uncertain if Windows 7, 8 and 10 have this same type of problem running on more recent pc architecture.

I first started using a PC back in 1981 and eventually purchased my own 8 bit computer running CP/M 2.2 with 64k memory and a 4mhz Z80 cpu.

Early pc's in many ways were faster than many modern GUI PCs as there was no graphics overhead. Back in those days computers was sorta in the dark ages as much of the general population often thought about computers the same as they thought about astrology.

Computers were at one time often considered to be esoteric and different from other things in mainstream society.

However I new people who owned and/or used computers, some were business owners while other worked as scientists, a few worked for Microsoft, etc.

I belonged to a computer club where we would meet a few times each month to talk over using, repairing and upgrading PC's.

Anyway since purchasing my first PC back in the early 80s I've been upgrading PC's ever since. Back in those days Microsoft a new startup was worth around ~$50,000.00 and trying to get a contract with IBM.

Started connecting to the Internet or Intranet approx. the same time and had dialup account using a 150 baud modem that connected to a VAX mainframe, that was connected to the Intranet. In comparison to todays Internet consisted of few people and organizations worldwide.

2. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Reputations:
    Not all ad-blockers are equal, and sometimes a few ads still slip through - but decent ad-blocker will allow you to block it with ease. Still, if you use an old machine (or smartphone) - hosts file is a much better option, though ad-blocker is still required because even regularly updated hosts isn't omnipotent.
    It is inefficient to do it yourself, especially when there are more or less automated solutions for hosts file management, e.g. this.
    I assume it is the problem on your 4GB RAM machine, and you have HDD-only storage. What about total memory usage at those moments? It may be due to FF paging heavily to slow storage; you could try disabling pagefile completely and it will run much faster - but you will have to watch out not to run out of memory, and close something when a notification appears at >80% memory usage.
    It depends on hardware and settings. While newer OS will run faster and use a bit less memory than resource-hogging Vista, if you have HDD as OS&programs drive the whole system will be bottlenecked by it, regardless of age. Again, it's not really a question of architecture - decade-old dual-core CPUs are generally on par with modern Atom/Celeron stuff, some even faster.
    Try NoScript Security Suite - does exactly that. Might be frustrating at times, but once you figure which scripts can be allowed just make the permissions permanent and it won't be your headache anymore. With eBay in particular, the only problem I have is uploading photos when creating a listing - not sure what exactly is causing it, though; old image uploader worked perfectly.

3. tenesu

tenesu Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok I have downloaded the zip file and ran the batch program to change the host file and then changed the DNS service to manual then restarted.

However when I went to the link to install NoScript Security Suite

A popup message is displayed

This add-on requires a newer version of Firefox (at least version 57.0). You are using Firefox 52.0.

With a link to update Firefox, to version 52.5.0esr

ESR = Extended Support Release

I'm currently running 52.5.0 (32-bit) I did find a site where you can download other versions and languages of FireFox.

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

When I attempted to install Firfox 57.1 and 57.0 I receive an error message that this version of Firefox can only be installed on Windows 7 and later.

Along with a link to a webpage that has the system requirements of FireFox version 57.1

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/57.0.1/system-requirements/

Update:

I was able to install an older version of NoScript from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript/versions/

Version 5.1.7 Released Nov. 17, 2017 758.9 KiB Works with Firefox 45.0 - 56.*, SeaMonkey 2.42 - *

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Starlight5 likes this.