Isopropyl alcohol as a replacement of Dry Gas?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC Blah Blah Blah!!!

Reputations:
    Asked a friend of mines about dry gas which was recommend by my dealer since the car was sitting for a while. He told me to just use Isopropyl alcohol the 99% kind, same effectiveness and cheaper.

Anyone try this before?

2. Muscle Master

Muscle Master Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As long as the alcohol match the rated octane level and the engine of the car is flex fuel rated ... why not

Due note ... like ethanol, alcohol tends to dissipate more than regular dinosaur gas so you will be filling up a bit more often than normal

3. Trottel

Trottel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    How long was your car sitting there? I didn't start my car for seven months without adding fuel stabilizer or anything like that and it fired right up.

The gas tanks are supposed to be sealed so no fuel vapors escape so that shouldn't be a problem.

4. Colton

Colton Also Proudly American

Reputations:
    Just use a fuel stabilizer... It's made for the occasion and isn't gonna hurt your car.

5. LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC Blah Blah Blah!!!

Reputations:
    Yea I'll most likely do that. I being asking around and getting mixed answers, so I'll stick with the safer choice. If I still had my 2001 Explorer sport which I just sold, I would have experimented on that first to see what happens.

6. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    Drygas is isopropyl alcohol.

7. dietcokefiend

dietcokefiend DietGreenTeaFiend

Reputations:
    I am not sure about what the costs are where you live but the bottles of 90% iso at the store cost more than the bottles of IsoHEET.

8. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    Large amounts of isopropyl alcohol is not good for most engines. Alcohol eats through rubber and many of the gaskets which engines are composed of.
    I would research WHITE/CONTINENTAL multifuel engines before saying that alcohol is safe to use. They use copper gaskets throughout and plastic fuel line.

K-TRON

9. dietcokefiend

dietcokefiend DietGreenTeaFiend

Reputations:
    This is true but we are talking about 12oz mixed in with roughly 2,000oz (15 gallons of fuel) which is only 0.6% total content. This is nothing compared to the nearly 10% ethanol (pure alcohol) content that many counties already put into fuel.

Also for the OP... before you even buy any gas line dryer, does the car still work? How long was it sitting? How old was the car? Reason I ask is unlike lawn mowers and some motorcycles cars will drink most any sort of gasoline and never see any effect from old fuel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.