Islam's Perception In the Media

Discussion in 'Everything Political' started by vdawg, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonhapimp

jonhapimp Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  2. bmwrob

bmwrob Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That article is 2.5 years old. Who knows what a newer poll might find now.

I'd like to see a similar poll run in Iraq, Iran or Afghanistan asking Muslims whether they thought Christianity and Judaism were violence-prone religions and whether their media's perception of Christianity/Judaism were biased. Oh, and for good measure, whether Muslims in the Middle East think Georgie is a kind-hearted, God-fearing man, and if God-fearing, righteous Republican Christians should ever be voted into office. LOL

3. vdawg

vdawg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  4. Bog

Bog Losing it...

Reputations:
    ^ Interpretation of religion brings more problems than it solves, vdawg. Look at history and notice that all kinds of horrific religious movements took place simply because the holy books were "open to interpretation".

5. YorkerBH

YorkerBH Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've been lurking on this thread a few times and seeing some opinions.

As a Muslim myself, I do see the media giving a bad name to Muslims, and people passing it on calling us some horrible things. Our enemies are the terrorists who give symbolize our names in wrong. If you look it up, Islam's exact definition means "Peace." But you won't find this upon Christians or Jews as being oversimplified.

When you mean "mainstream" do you mean Sunni and Shiites or do you infer to what Muslims follow to?

The Qur'an is a mean of guidance to Muslims, our rule book. To this day, it has never been changed. It's pretty hard even for regular Muslims to get the exact meaning of the Arabic literature but if you find a Muslim scholar or a Hafiz (one who memorized the Qur'an), they can give you a excellent translation of the text.

Many people just read the meanings off the internet which are entirely wrong or the main point is wrong. If you want to get the meaning of the Qur'an find a fellow Muslim or some other primary source, just please don't go off and read the internet. I have encountered many false interpretations of the Qur'an some got me angry but I had to keep it within me.

Until you shadow a Muslim, then you will find his/her actual devotion to Islam and what it really is...

6. mujtaba

mujtaba ZzzZzz Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Interpretation always happens, both when you apply a saying or a text to the outside world, as well as arguments about it being absolute or not.
    The problem does not stem from the text being open to interpretation, rather, making an interpretation and refusing to listen to anybody's arguments, a sign you always notice in extremists [looking at times ranging from the dark ages to the current times with Muslim, Christian and Jewish extremists as well as others]

7. Bog

Bog Losing it...

Reputations:
    Interpretation doesn't always happen, as you say; this is simply not true. Science is the only area of discourse in which people do not apply interpretations; if you use an operational definition of something that you observe as a scientist, another scientist half-way around the world will unanimously understand you. The language of science is universal simply because it is not open to interpretation - yet, as you undoubtedly know, science plays a huge part in our lives.

That aside, my point is that all of the interpretations of religion result in people who have set of beliefs, and allow those beliefs to map on to their behaviour and view of reality. These beliefs have utterly no evidence whatsoever - so any interpretation of what you believe about the Koran or Bible are still patently absurd; yet people refuse to think critically when they read something from the Koran or Bible. They refuse to apply rational criticism when discussing religion.

It doesn't matter how you interpret these books; its the fact that you are interpreting it and presuming them to be true by organizing your life around these ideas. Interpretation is assumption when you begin organizing your life around things, such as the belief that you will get 72 virgins in paradise.

I would say that I don't care whether the media has a "narrow" view of Islam; all of the interpretations of the holy books (not just the Koran) are a waste of time because none of them have any evidence or even rational basis anyway! The only reason why the media chooses to focus on the extremist view of Islam in particular is because daily explosions in downtown Baghdad tend to get people's attention more than peace-loving Muslims. What people don't realize is that extremist or not, religion is nonsense.

8. vdawg

vdawg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lets take a step back. I don't want this thread to turn in The Great Religious Debate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.