Is Vista just XP Sevice pack 3?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Icelox18, Feb 28, 2007.

?

Is Vista a lame upgrade?

Poll closed Mar 15, 2007.
  1. Yes, it was a horrible idea

19 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. No, it has its advantages

45 vote(s)
    64.3%
  3. Maybe/Depends/What am I doing here?

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sucka

Sucka Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It uses more memory because it's an active OS. One thing that bothers me is when people complain about this aspect, if you have the memory, don't you want it in use? It's like buying a sports car and driving it like a volvo station wagon. Vista is always doing something in the background to speed up performance. Personally i would rather see 50% of my memory in use if i knew it was cacheing things in the background and what have you. I didn't buy 2Gb of memory to see 1.5GB free at all times of the day :rolleyes:

An OS isn't going to make your computer run faster, that is the job of hardware. I don't understand why people don't understand this concept.

Software support is decent as it stands, and will only improve over time. Msoft holds the cards here, like it or not they will phase out XP over time. It's only a matter of time before software writers will write exclusively for Vista. I'm not saying to make the change right now, but you will need to at some point (to keep up with software and DX10).

If XP works for you, that's great. It has been around for 5+ years and is supposed to be stable at this point. Not sure how many of you were around for the 98 to XP switch, but it had many of the same problems we're seeing today. XP was a huge upgrade from 98 unlike Vista from XP, i'll admit that. But then again, windows 98 also was horrible at the time, it could only get better.

I can't wait to reflect on all these threads (not just here, i'm talking about everywhere i visit) and see what we think of it in 2 years. If you think you can take XP along for the next 2-3 years, that's great. But if you know anything about software and hardware you'll realize that at some point you're going to need to make the upgrade. Do it now, do it after SP1, do it for the next OS, choice is yours...

2. disco

disco Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    ^great info man

i have a vista laptop coming to me soon and i read people bashing vista because their memory was being used alot more then on XP

but you def pointed out that vista makes good use of this memory all the time

3. R4000

R4000 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Windows XP mainstream support ends 4/14/09, extended support until 4/08/14. http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223

It is conceivable to run XP for the next couple of years (gamers aside). But as was mentioned above, you will eventually need to migrate to Vista at some point (unless the next OS debuts before XP is retired, which is unlikely).

Speaking of SP3, where is it? Were we not supposed to get it by last summer? I would guess it was put on hold because of the ramping up of Vista.

*Update Edit*

It looks as if Microsoft has already determined the mainstream lifecycle support for Vista. Oddly, it is slated to be retired only 3 years after XP. http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=11734

According to that, Vista will not live to see the maturity age of XP. Very interesting.

4. Mobilehavoc

Mobilehavoc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If it's just XP Service Pack 3 - it's one hell of a Service Pack. I'm loving my Vista install...Xp what?

5. skagen

skagen Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A bloated OS can slow down your computer and eat up battery life though. Dunno why anyone is in denial about this.
    Hint: Aero Eye Candy

6. Mobilehavoc

Mobilehavoc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Using that thought process what OS isn't bloated? OS X uses more eye candy than Vista.

Linux by default doesn't but more and more people use Beryl/Compiz for eye candy.

Oh and btw, there's a way to turn off Aero in Vista if you feel it's adding to this "bloat" that you speak of.

7. SRD

SRD Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Actually your completly wrong on this point. Vista has been tested and reviewed by many people. Aero doesnt actually slow your pc down any more than if you have it disabled. Aero is run by the GPU its not using your other hardware. so if you have a video card that supports Aero you shouldnt see any slow down at all.

Im not saying its not a somewhat bloated OS. It Doesnt run bad though. Its just a fact of Life More and more features add Bloat. every new OS has always needed better hardware.

8. Matt

Matt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That pretty much sums it up.

As others have stated, Vista is much more than a SP for XP, despite its relatively minor flaws. While Vista does have a few problems, most of them are problems that any new OS would encounter. These include driver issues, specifically. How can you expect new drivers on a new OS to work immediately? Sure they had some time to work on them, but didn't we see this problem before with XP?

Vista is very similar to XP, I agree, and it lacks some of the earlier promised features (specifically WinFS). However, it is more user-friendly and is more appealing, despite whatever "bloating" it causes.

Overall, Vista is not "changing the way we use computers" (as stated by Microsoft), but it is attracting more and more computer users. Not to mention, is does add some new abilities to Windows that are very useful.

Matt

9. grumpy3b

grumpy3b Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for one of the best takes on Vista I have read to date. I am not upgrading this year. I might next year but I did not go to XP from w2k for almost 2 years. There was not compelling reason beyond the improved networking setup for botards...

10. usapatriot

usapatriot Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I currently don't like Vista due to its performance and compatibility features but once those get solved I'm getting Vista.