1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Is this refurb sony from bestbuy any good?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by kmk42019, Aug 17, 2013.

1. kmk42019

kmk42019 Newbie

Reputations:
    Im in the market for a new laptop and this seems to have a lot of features for $699.99. Should I go for this or avoid it?

Sony Geek Squad Certified Refurbished VAIO 14" TouchScreen Laptop 8GB Memory GCRF-SVE14A27CX - Best Buy

What is your budget?
    $700

What country will you be buying this in?
    US

What size notebook do you prefer?
    Thin and Light (13 - 14-inch screen)

Would you consider a refurbished laptop?
    Yes

What are the primary tasks you need this notebook for?
    Web Surfing, Office and Productivity Software

Where will you be using this laptop?
    Will be used different places

How many hours of battery life do you need?
    4-5

Will you be buying online or in store?
    online or in store

Which OS do you prefer?
    Windows 8 or Windows 7

List the screen resolutions that interest you:
    High Resolution (1600 x 900)

Do you prefer a glossy or matte screen?
    Glossy or Matte is fine

Is the laptops design important to you?
    Yes

Approximately what date will you be buying this laptop?
    Around 08/18/2013

How long do you want this laptop to last?
    4 years

How much storage capacity do you need?
    250 GB

Are you interested in SSD for storage?
    Maybe

Do you want a built-in optical drive, what type?
    No

Lasted edited by : May 7, 2015
  2. KomodoRogue

KomodoRogue Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I say avoid... but I don't think it's necessarily a bad choice.

I like Sony, but this isn't their best effort. I'm not even sure who the target audience is for this one.

It's more computer than you need (solid CPU and features a so-so dGPU), which would be fine, but if you don't use the GPU then it's just added bulk and could be annoying when bringing it to work. If you do use it, then that plus the CPU (I think it's 35 watts? really good to be sure, but not haswell, which you can get for that price) will eat the battery pretty quickly.

It just isn't a "thin and light" laptop, not by today's standards anyway. If you were a gamer, I would say go for the $750 refurb Asus G75VW, which is better specs but bigger and less battery. If you're not gaming, then I suggest searching by 4th gen i5 or i7. The integrated graphics are definitely good enough for general multimedia, you'll get solid battery, and there are much better designs for tossing it into a briefcase or bookbag.

3. Sxooter

Sxooter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Looks like Sony's typical mid range all plastic E series machine. I wouldn't expect more than 2.5 to 3 hours battery life under low level operation (web browsing and document editing). It's not thin or light, but it's not a monstrous 17.3" machine either.

As for the dedicated GPU, modern graphics switching means that there's little to no effect on battery life when doing low level stuff. That said a 7670 is a VERY weak GPU, in the same realm as a GT620 or lower. That's a plus and a minus. It's around 18W max power so it'll make a lot less heat than say a GT650M running at full throttle. Performance wise it's about half that of a 8750m or GT650M which are true mid grade portable GPUs so don't expect any great gaming from it.

For that price I'd expect a new not refurb machine.

At that weight / size you might as well go to a 15.6" machine, add 0.5lbs and get something with a 1080p IPS screen.

Microcenter has the Vaio Fit 15 for $799 with 1080p screen and 4:15 tested battery according to this review

The Vaio Fit 14 with 900p screen for $649

Both of those have low voltage CPUs and no GPU and get pretty good battery life and are a bit lighter than than the regular E series.

4. kmk42019

kmk42019 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks! What would you guys recommend for around $700 then?

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Lenovo | 

6. Sxooter

Sxooter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Also if you still want the Sony, Best Buy has a 14" Vaio Fit that's not showing on their web site but I got an ad for it a few days ago on a social media site: Vaio fit 14" for $519. 1600x900 as well.