Is this reason to rma 1080 Ti FE ?

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by sew333, Jul 2, 2017.

1. sew333

sew333 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Card on rare occasion seems to disable its own temp throttle and just run itself full power ( without clock throttling ) on 85C with fans 59%. I've used GPUZ to try to monitor temps and confirm the readings so I know they're accurate.

I I have noticed that rebooting the machine does seem to clear up the issue so I suspect this may be an obscure driver bug.

I have closely examined case cooling and found no issues there. I know the card does manage to run just fine most times with a constant temp around 83-84C with normal clock throttle when under load.

Has anyone else run into an issue like this? Any ideas?

Also found some few peoples with the same issue with FOUNDER EDITION cards.

2. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Fans never go over 59%? are you using something to manage the fan curve?

3. sew333

Reputations:
    nothing 0 programs like that. No have installed utilities oc.

I run now 3dmark ,temps go to 87C and no clock throttling, fan was on auto 63% lol. What is going on?

4. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    Try installing Precision X or something like that, you should be able to set a point where it throttles even if the driver/firmware isn't doing it automatically.

5. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    It's in a NCase M1 v5 :confused:

6. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    That would definitely benefit from an FE or other rear-venting card. Very nice looking case too.

TBoneSan likes this.
  7. sew333

Reputations:
    Default temperature target: 84C.F

Sometimes temp limit stops working on my card,fan goes from 49% to 60% on auto, and temps goes as high 87C and there is not throttling. Any ideas? Card is 1080 TI FE stock,no oc. No programs installed. Rebooting pc cure this.

I tried on 378.92 and 382 drivers

Card sometimes goes above temp limit which is 84C. Go to 87C and when i looking to GPUZ its showing PWR LIMIT ,not THRM LIMIT. Can somebody explain me this? PLEASE . Is this normal or not? I promise i will not ask again and not make next topic.

8. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    We've told you several times already - it's normal. The Power limit kicks in when the GPU tries to draw more power than the board can handle. These are all safety protections that keep your card operating in the correct conditions. Stop worrying about it and just remove the monitoring software - you don't need it

9. sew333

Reputations:
    Sorry and my last question , :) Somebody said :" To me it sounds like a disconnect between the driver and the hardware so the hardware is left to fend for itself. A complete removal and reinstall of the drivers may help. If it has always done this then it could be a bad card."

It can be bad card like he said or nah ? Thanks for reply.

10. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That is virutually impossible. Please stop listening to 12-year-olds who have no bloody idea how hardware works. If your driver crashes, you will see a screen flicker and your application will likely crash as well. In some cases of driver crashing, you can also see a BSOD. So no, a driver "disconnecting" is simply not possible. It has never been possible and never will be possible.