Is this reason to rma 1080 Ti FE ?

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by sew333, Jul 2, 2017.

1. sew333

sew333 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi. I have weird little problem with my Gtx 1080 Ti FE. Mostly of the time , on load , clocks are 1550-1700mhz ,fan speed is on auto 49-50% ,temps of course are high 85C and GPUZ reporting THRM ( purple field ).

But.........sometimes when i run game or benchmark fan speed is on auto too but it is raising itself to 60% and temps of course are smaller and clocks are higher like 1800mhz and gpuz not reporting thermal limit

. I dont have installed any oc programs,like afterburner or precision. Only fraps,gpuz,cpuz. I will be very greatful for help here.

Please help.

Somebody said this to me:"Try the card in a different computer to see if the problem follows the card. If it does then it is time to start a RMA."

So i am worried now.

I am on 378.92 drivers.
    Ah and ambient temp on the room is always the same. I am using card on the same case.

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's how GPU Boost 3.0 works. It increases clockspeed until it hits the thermal limit (85-86*C) and then throttles down until it stabilizes.

The whole reason is that the Founders Edition cooler is kind of crappy.

3. sew333

Reputations:
    Fan just sometimes ramps up to 60% even on stock fan curve. And then GPUZ showing PWR limit ( green field ).
    I am on stock fan curve. No programs installed. Stock all.

But mostly often is 49% and then gpuz tells THRM limit. It is doing itself without my control randomly. Any ideas why?

4. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    You just need a 3rd party cooler. The stock one with the FEs is pretty crap.

5. sew333

Reputations:
    One time i run UNIGINE HEAVEN and fan speed is on 60% which resulting higher clocks and smaller temps.
    Second time i run UNIGINE HEAVEN and fan speed is 49% which resulting on lower clocks .
    Can somebody explain me this?

It is without my control. I dont have installed any programs like Precision etc.

6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Every GPU has limits set by the OEM via the vBIOS - those include thermals, power and voltage.

What happens is - your GPU starts boosting and then, if it hits the thermal limit (86 degrees centigrade), it starts downclock (thermal throttling) because of the Nvidia vBIOS setting.
    If it hits the maximum power draw allowed in the vBIOS - it will start downclocking (power/TDP throttling) so as to conform with the vBIOS limits.

In short - this is normal behaviour. The thermal throttling is due to the FE cooler being crappy and the power limit throttling is there because otherwise GPU Boost 3.0 may end up overloading the card. Everything can be changed and tweaked via MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision X.

EDIT: You cannot RMA your GPU as this is not considered a defect. It is widely known that the 1080 Founders Edition runs hot and throttles.

7. sew333

Reputations:
    It hits thermal limit because fan speed is on 49% on auto. But sometimes fan speed goes itself up to 60% and there is not downclocking like was on 49%. So this i cant understand. Fan sometimes is on 60% without my control.
    Testing on the same UNIGINE HEAVEN.

Ok. One time i run Unigine Heaven and GPUZ reporting all time POWER LIMIT ( Green Field ) with fan speed 60% auto.

Next day i run the same loop of Unigine Heaven and gpuz reporting after few minutes THERMAL LIMIT ( purple field ) but with fan speed 49% auto. This!

8. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    This is the last time I am going to repeat myself. TDP/Power throttling occurs due to the same reason thermal throttling occurs - you are hitting the maximum safe power draw specified in the vBIOS.

9. sew333

Reputations:
    Last quesion. But why one day i run Heaven and all time in benchmark i have fan on 60%.
    Second day i run the same loop in Heaven and have 49% fan. :) ?

I dont change anything in any programs. I dont have installed Precision or Afterburner.

10. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Because you bought the Founders Edition. Next time, do research before buying a product.