Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Rodster, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    I went to Toshiba's website and it wasn't listed. They had the A355-S6998E so i'm a little confused if this is even a current model or it's being clearanced out.

https://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail.asp?SID=n&ProductID=22738&BrandStore=All#page
    $699.99

Toshiba Satellite A355-S6998
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    2.0GHz Intel P7350 (1066MHz FSB, 3mb L2)
    16" 1366x768 TruBrite display
    4GB DDR2-800 RAM
    320GB Hard Drive
    256mb ATI Radeon Mobility HD 3470 discrete graphics
    DVD-RW with Labelflash
    Webcam
    Intel 5100AGN wireless card
    harmon/kardon speakers

2. Ryan45

Ryan45 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My cousin has this laptop and she loves it. I saw and tried it out last night and it is an amazing laptop. I suggust it.

3. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Thanks Ryan, is it a new model? Btw I love your avi. :D

4. Ryan45

Ryan45 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Sorry for the late response, rodknee. I am actually not sure myself if it's the new model or the old model. I know she got it at Futureshop back in December.

Any luck with the laptop yet?

5. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    I got it and love everything about it except the size of the screen....arrrgh ! :mad:

I can't tell you how much I now despise 16x9 format. Other than that the laptop is gorgeous and has lots of bells and whistles. I love the fact it has a built in FM Tuner, 1066 MHZ FSB, a P-Series CPU and 4GB of ram. The bloatware is really tough on judging performance of this laptop. You would need to do a clean install to get a better gauge of what it can do. The A355-6998 is more of a multimedia laptop which is fine by me because it's primary use is for the internet, TV live stream, radio and light gaming.

The laptop is very stylish without being gaudy. I plan on taking it back and either getting a 17" Toshiba 16x10 format or picking up a Toshiba 14.1" WXGA (1280x800) with a T9300 CPU, 4GB of RAM, 320GB HDD, and a ATI 3470 graphics card for the same price.

If it weren't for the shortened screen from top to bottom I would have kept it. :rolleyes:

6. Ryan45

Ryan45 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah you get that. I like mine since it's 15.4''..just what I needed for the right price too..the only downside is the graphics card but hey! That just means I can have fun playing Duke Nukem again. No problem with that !

7. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Well I decided to keep it even though i'm not a big fan of the new 16x9 format. In the end I gave it some thought and the pluses easily outweighed the one minus. The price was also a factor. Lot's of tech for $699. :eek:

8. frostycake

frostycake Newbie

Reputations:
    This is kind of a funny situation because I'm going through pretty much the exact same dilemma haha.

I was recently looking at a Toshiba A350 which is very similar to the 355 you have and an excellent price but I was a little turned off by the 1366 x 768 Resolution. It just seems so comparitively short from length wise as opposed to width wise. However on second thought movies would look pretty good from how I envision it and web browsing/word processing won't be affected.
    So I think I'm going to go ahead and get it.

Are you starting to like it and is the resolution growing on you or what? :p

9. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Yeah i'm starting to dig it big time. It offers so much as in bang for the buck. I compared the 16" vs my 15.4" screen. You only lose roughly 1 inch in height so it's no big deal.

Check this out. The laptop includes Bluetooth, Wifi, Camera, 320GB HDD, 4GB of ram, a P7350 2.0ghz CPU with a 1066 FSB all for $699.99 :)

The laptop runs Vista Premium 64 with no problems and is very fast. I also love the look of the Fusion Finish, it offers lot's of Bling with the shiny look and white lights including the Toshiba logo. I also love the feel of the laptop. It has a quality feel to it.

So the bottom line is i'm glad I kept it. :D

10. RickGulino

RickGulino Newbie

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.