Is there an Undervolting tool for the Ryzen Mobile CPUs?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Richard Zheng, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That is especially true for Ryzen APUs, but throttling over long periods of time is pretty much to be expected. The main point I am trying to get to is that IF you indeed have a CPU that will not throttle uder the maximum possible loads, then the implementation is just plain wrong.

For example, I have an XPS 15 with a hexa core i7. It is certainly a fast machine for sure, but the CPU throttles. Now, if I were to put in a quad core i7 into it, it would not throttle at all. Not even a CPU benchmark would give it any trouble. Which is a "Better" implementation from what I think is your point. But here is the problem, while it can indeed maintain full turbo over any loads, you are not really getting the most out of your CPU. If you had a hexa core i7, even if it throttles to use just as much power (TDP), you would be better off for the vast majority of tasks as that short windows before it throttles will be much, much faster than the quad core. Even if you cannot get the full 100% out of the CPU under loads, that doesn't mean it isn't a bad implmentation at all.

If you had a CPU that doesn't throttle, that would mean your cooling is overkill (12 pounds of cooling for an i9) or your CPU is too weak for the cooling system (45W CPU in a 60W chassis). This isn't a design flaw, that is just how it works.

2. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Arondel likes this.
  3. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So Ryzen undervolting is now a thing? Consider me intrigued

4. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Unless I missed it, it's still only limiting wattage, not undervolting.