Is there an Undervolting tool for the Ryzen Mobile CPUs?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Richard Zheng, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've looked around a bit and haven't found jack.

hmscott likes this.
  2. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ryzen master iirc

3. Richard Zheng

Reputations:
    IIRC it doesn't support all the options for mobile CPUs

hmscott likes this.
  4. abaddon4180

abaddon4180 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not to my knowledge. I guess you could lower the TDP using the guide below but I imagine lowering the performance is not really what you're looking to do. I bet there is a lot of room for undervolting on these, too. I remember I had a Llano APU like six years ago that was ridiculously poorly optimized. I was able to increase the clock speed by nearly a full 1GHz while lowering the voltages a good bit. I am sure AMD's quality control for setting voltages has improved a bit since then but I bet there could still be some great gains if it was possible.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  5. Richard Zheng

Reputations:
    I’m not looking for a way to limit TDP, I kind of want full control like I would get with XTU or TS. I want to undervolt (god knows these things could use it)

hmscott likes this.
  6. abaddon4180

abaddon4180 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sadly, I don't think there is a way to do so yet.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Richard Zheng

Reputations:
    Damn, that sucks. Ryzen CPUs would see giant leaps in performance if you could tune them like intel CPUs, the potential boost is game-changing for sure. Maybe they are working on automatic undervolting and whatnot?

hmscott and Starlight5 like this.
  8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I had a ryzen 1700 in my gl702zc laptop and I can tell you that cpu was already well optimized.
    Yes I was able to drop the stock voltage from roughly 1.17v to about 0.98v on stock... Or I could have overlooked the cpu to 3.6ghz on all cores on stock voltage (or dropping it just a notch to about 1.16v).

And the ryzen mobile parts are ultra low power.
    It is possible it could do with voltage modulation, but not sure you'd be able to get massive difference... The uarch was completely revamped after all.

Besides, the biggest problem with 2500u and 2700u are manufacturer limited tdp and inadequate cooling implementation (since they just use pre existing chassis or cooling for Intel and then of course use lousy thermal paste application).

I think AMD would be better off just modifying ryzen master to allow people to undervolt ryzen mobile.

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  9. Richard Zheng

Reputations:
    I know some of the thinkpads are a bit better under loads than others. I know that undervolting will help, which is always wanted on a mobile system. Even if you could get a tad better performance or just a little more battery life, it would be worth it

10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Undervolting anything on mobile is always recommended (be it AMD or Intel).
    It usually (and unfortunately) falls to the end-user (ourselves) to correct the bad design implementations by OEMs.
    As for Thinkpads better under load than others... Actually, I think that Acer Nitro 5 with 2500u and 2700u would be better... probably because they both come with RX 560x dGPU... hence the beefed up cooling and no TDP limit on the 2500/2700u APU's (at least the last time I checked).

Thinkpads have a severely TDP limited APU (from 25W down to 15W) - so their CPU clocks tends to drop with prolonged use.

Blame Lenovo (but if you ask me, AMD should not have allowed these APU's to have a configurable TDP - might not have made any difference though, because in the past, OEM's would just shove previous APU's into laptops pre-existing chassis and have them thermally throttle like there's no tomorrow - so, again, they paid 0 attention to cooling).

There are ways to go around the TDP limit of course (as it was posted in that video above), but, that will obviously result in these parts temps going up to 80 deg C... or over that - now, call me crazy, but such parts shouldn't be allowed to reach those temperatures - then again, OEM's thermal application is lackluster to say the least).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019