Is there a solution for the M17x R4 glossy screen?

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by cucubits, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As the title says... I am preparing to purchase a mobile gaming machine and the M17x R4 is in the top of my list. The one and only concern I have is about the glossy screen. I won't be able to use it only in pitch black rooms and I have never had a glossy screen before.

Is there some sort of workaround to make it matte? I really don't want to keep looking at weird reflections. My guess would be some sort of protective/ anti reflective screen cover? Do these things exist?

2. DDDenniZZZ

DDDenniZZZ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How about wait till you get the machine to see how reflective it is, it really isn't that bad unless your working in direct line with sunlight. You can get a matte screen protector if you want, but the clarity of the screen also decreases as well.

3. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not an option... I will however try to find an M17 somewhere in a store so I can see it live. If I really don't like it, I'll probably go the Clevo way.

4. LeoVainio

LeoVainio Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hahaha the Clevo way :p ok enjoy

what was that saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it. The glossy screen is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen I wouldn't change it for anything. Vibrant colors and detail, I've never had an issue with "reflection" bothering me.

You'll regret if you go clevo instead of alienware.

I've had a glossy MacBook before this one too and I live in an apartment, one wall of my room is almost entirely window from the floor to the ceiling, and I live in the middle east its very bright. Trust me you will be fine with a glossy screen I could never go to a matte screen this one is too incredible. Alienware all the way!

5. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    fair enough. As I said I have never had a glossy screen and the vibrant colors do sound nice. We'll see, I'll definitely try to find an AW an see it live before buying but I've almost made up my mind to go for it.

next big issue is of course 7970 vs 680, back to reading...

6. LeoVainio

LeoVainio Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There's no reading on that one. If you have the budget, the 680M all the way. Better control panel, better drivers, more features, more stable/reliable, less problems.

The 7970M is simply the same performance for cheaper. It's got way higher performance for your dollar value, but the 680M is all around a better card :)

And seriously.... The display is beautiful. It's so bright as well, it's still blowing me away months later. Do NOT worry about reflections trust me :p

7. jiggymf

jiggymf Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Very much respect opinion, but don't agree fully with the above.

The GTX 680m is not better then the 7970m (though the GTX 680m does also have my personal preference).

I have found a single GTX 680m perform the same as the 7970m, it just differs which game you try, which card will be SLIGHTLY faster.
    Driver support for the 7970m is fine now (wasn't half a year ago), it's very stable, and the problems everyone always talks about is very personal. I had more problems with my GTX 680m's then with my 7970m (none at all). It's just bad luck imho.

It's when you seriously Overclock, that the GTX 680m takes a clear lead.
    Best bang for buck, without a doubt, is the 7970m.
    Whatever you do, DO take one of both cards, and don't opt for one of the cheaper ones. Both are leagues ahead in terms of performance. I'd take a basic m17x any day with just one of both GPU's, over all kinds of other stuff in it but with a cheaper GPU.

I do agree about the Glossy screen! :D
    I love it also, reflections are very doable. Also here, it's really a matter of personal preference.

By the way, seeing an Alienware m17x-r4 with one of both cards in action, likely means you immediately purchase it :p

8. Mahesh_Singh

Mahesh_Singh Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I do believe there is a anti-glare cover for the glossy screen on the r4 by Green Onions. Go here for this :
    AG2 Anti-Glare screen Protector for Dell Alienware M17x R3/R4 | Green Onions Supply
    Having said that, let me share a thought on the product. It basically reduces the brigthness and clarity of your screen. Had it on my r3; thought it would be good to get rid of the reflections permanently, but i didnt really like what i saw after i had applied it. Do it only if you are really fed up of the reflections or are in no doubt that they must absolutely go. In all other cases, let that screen be as it is - and it really is beautiful the way it is :)

9. Prolixious

Prolixious Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I overclocked my 7970m to 900/1400 earlier. I won't do it again. If the OP wants to OC, I think he should buy a 680m.

I don't know about the other things: a Clevo with 680m (a Clevo with 7970m is not comparable) costs about the same as an Alienware with 7970m, but Dell has a better (much overpriced) warranty. Customer service is a wash. In any case, the solutions for the glossy bezel decrease the quality of the screen.

10. takovr

takovr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have my 7970 over-clocked to 950/1300 and have had no problems. I can play Crsis 3 on very high settings all night long.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.