1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Is there a laptop on this planet that will last 10 years?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by kf711, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kf711

kf711 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm a high school student in the graduating class of 2013. I plan on taking 2 years of junior college and then a 4 year, so when all of my schooling is up it'll be 2019. rounding that out to 10 years, what laptop can stay working that long (If I got a laptop this year)? And even though I have a crappy Vista desktop, should I just wait until 2013 to get a new laptop?

2. 2.0™

2.0™ NBR Macro-Mod® Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes wait since you cannot readily update a notebook and by that time, they will be even better.

The idea of a notebook lasting for 10 years is not feasible considering advances in technology over that length of time. 5 years is a more realistic and achievable goal.

3. Gloomy

Gloomy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Latitude series by Dell remind me of days when Dell notebooks were built to withstand the siege-engine hands of six year-olds. Dell really doesn't make them like that anymore :(

Having held one myself, I'd say they're candidates for a 5 or 6-year run. The nvidia gpus they wave around make me suspicious though...

4. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    My ancient IBM thinkpad... from 1990 or so, with an Intel Pentium MMX CPU.

Still runs Windows 98 fine, along with Office 95, but the CD drive itself gave out last year, so I am stuck with this slow RadioLAN setup, lol. No updates to IE9 for me... :( And no FF4, lol :p

For simple word processing use, it's still workable. Otherwise, the screen has extreme ghosting - I cannot even see the cursor if it's moving!!

Otherwise, get a high end Dell Latitude, they still should be solid units (my D820 and C840 definately were - C840 less so), and could easily stand the test of time, abhiet, with the possibility of being heavily outstripped in speed and battery life later on.

5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There were no ThinkPads in 1990.

6. fzhfzh

fzhfzh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It depends on how do you define "last".

7. LapisOrange

LapisOrange Newbie

Reputations:
    1992 qualifies for "1990 or so"

8. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    PM me tommorrow, I'll post pics of it (it's in my attic, right now).

I dunno the actual date. It's probably from 1996, because I think the year I moved from Texas was the same year I bought my first laptop... I think...

9. crazycanuk

crazycanuk Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    the FIRST thinkpads were in 92 and Pentiums didnt exist at all then. 80486 was in its infancy in 92

the MMX showed up in 97 with the 560E I believe

ThinkPad History - ThinkWiki

as for lasting 10 years ... old thinkpads ( I have a couple from 2000 ) and the Panny Toughbooks .... I still have a p75 unit from 96 still in operation ... but NO you cant use current software on them as they do have limits imposed on them from having such outdated equipment

10. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    :eek:
    Thanks

11. damian5000

damian5000 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There's no point waiting 3 years to get your notebook. It makes no sense at all. I could see waiting a few months if there was some new processor coming out or some such that you wanted.

Get your notebook now. Likely in 3 years (or before then) you'll have a job and can buy a new notebook.

Seriously in 10 years you have no idea where you'll be or what notebooks will be like. Why would you even WANT it to last that long? Likely you'd be able to buy a 2010 notebook in 2020 for $50 if that.

10 years ago, top of the line was p2 366 w/ 64mb of RAM and a 6gb hard drive.

If you want something that can handle just your schoolwork and such (ie if you won't be gaming) for a good price, but still looks good look at a 2nd hand such as the Dell d630 on eBay. These run < $300 and have core2duo 2.0ghz with 2gb RAM w/DVD magnesium alloy cases. They were $2000 machines in 2007.

12. crazycanuk

crazycanuk Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just to be argumentitive :D

Thinkpad T20 from June 2000

P3 750mHz, 384 ram and 20 GB Hdd, it even had a DVD option but was too expensive and unnecessary at the time

I still have it in use as a mobile diagnostic router with win2KP installed dualbooted with Slackware Linux all stock except for the HDD replaced April 2007

13. Clyde_frog

Clyde_frog Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I remember when I bought a desktop PC in 2000 and paid thousands for it, because it was a pretty good config for that time:

AMD Duron 600 MHz
    Nvidia Riva TNT2 32 MB
    64 MB Ram
    10 GB Hard Drive

As a comparison, in my laptop, now I got:
    Intel Quad Core CPU
    ATI Radeon HD 5870 1 GB
    8 GB Ram
    500 GB Hard Drive

...and it's only been around 10 years :) My first desktop would still suffice if I wanted to use Win 98, play Fallout 2 or Starcraft and do some office work.

14. damian5000

damian5000 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ok, you're right. In 2000 they were getting up into the p3 600 and 700mhz range...and I'm not saying a laptop from today, 10 years from now if it survives won't be useful in some form. But comparatively speaking it will be worthless $$$ wise IF it survives half that long...Your T20 lasting that long is exceptional and Thinkpads aren't your everyday consumer laptop. If his laptop does last 10 years he can use it as a diagnostic router or a server...or erm... a paperweight :)

And my point still stands that there's no reason to wait 3 years for this guy to buy a laptop. And... don't worry about the laptop lasting 10 years

15. 2.0™

2.0™ NBR Macro-Mod® Super Moderator

Reputations:
    He didn't indicate that he "needed" a notebook now since he has a Vista desktop. His need is for college in 3 years. Why would he buy now?

16. CPUman

CPUman Newbie

Reputations:
    I would recommend a Panasonic Toughbook.

17. TheRocketmac

TheRocketmac Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My Thinkpad 600 has almost done it.....

18. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    Okay, thinkpad 2600, kinda "broken" as of last year (DVD drive stopped functioning - everything else still works).

lil wabbit ears peeking out are the RadioLAN's massive module. (don't get silly about how "rabbit ears" really look like...).

[​IMG]

19. const451

const451 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's what my gf has, she paid 3K+ for it :) It's still laying around somewhere, in perfectly working condition except the battery does not hold at all. I should put ubuntu on it one of these days.

20. Gloomy

Gloomy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    :monotone: oh no, do not pirate the operating system, that is wrong