1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Is there a guide on how to disassemble a CF-74?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by BlackSheep5, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackSheep5

BlackSheep5 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As the title describes, is there a guide with pictures, step by step on how to disassemble a CF-74 for a processor upgrade?

I did a quick search but didn't find any thing here.

2. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Yeah.. It's called a Service Manual... PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. Do you need schematics and board diagrams too?

3. Doobi

Doobi ToughBook DeityInTraining

Reputations:
    Hey Boss, he is looking to do a processor upgrade. Is that even possible in a 74? I was under the impression all toughbooks had their CPU's soldered to the board?

4. BlackSheep5

Reputations:
    PM sent.

Dude that would suck. I hope not.

5. Doobi

Doobi ToughBook DeityInTraining

Reputations:
    It would stink as much as the "shocker", but I do believe I am correct. Hopefully TB knows something I don't.

6. Psych0Thrasher

Psych0Thrasher Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If it's anything like the 73, which I would imagine it's pretty close design-wise, it is soldered to the board. I took one apart last weekend and it was a humdinger.

7. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Yeah... You can't upgrade the processors on the Toughbooks... Any of them as far as I know.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

8. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Rick
    The cf-72 has a removable cpu
    I have updated my mk-5 to a 2.6 pentuim m

Alex

9. BlackSheep5

Reputations:
    Crap....well I will take it apart just to look.

10. mcadle

mcadle Newbie

Reputations:
    First off, I just found this forum, great info here. Second, apologies to all for kind of going slightly off topic, but Toughbook seems to have the answers or at least have lots of toughbooks, so here is what I am faced with.

I have 2 CF-28's - I will have to go look up the CPU speed - but I did upgrade the ram to 512 MB. They were needed for a product display which was just a flash movie and nothing else, but we needed toughbooks or ruggedized laptops to show case the overall product we had as the laptops are part of the product. The issue is, the CF-28's wit 512 MB are too slow and the movie crawls. Can we switch mobo's or anything to keep the chassis? Is there anything else we can upgrade to get a 1 GB of RAM?

If not, where is the cheapest place that might let us trade these 28's or whatever to get the bare bones machine to meet our needs? We don't need CD-ROM, WIFI, etc. We are looking for rugged case (we like the look of the 28), daylight readable touchscreen, at least 1 GHZ cpu, 1 GB RAM, spill resistant keyboard, and wired LAN only. The keyboard isn't that critical.

Ok, again, apologies for the hijack, but this was the only topic I found talking about switching cpu's and stuff.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.