Is the price difference between i7-10875h and i9-10980hk worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by AndresHdz, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Extreme editions are never worth it. Maybe if your a millionaire and for whatever reason the difference means nothing to you. Otherwise your average power user wont see a difference, especially in games, and resale value will be disappointing if your someone who does that. Generally laptops period are not worth it over a budget diy build, but for those like myself who need it, these features usually mean nothing.

If your really going to spend that much and need performance, you might look into a clevo fat top with desktop cpu's. Those are the real serious workstation type laptops and usually feature xeons and quadro's.

2. LordDraco

LordDraco Newbie

Reputations:
    I turned off my cpu multipliers with throttlestop for work and 1440p gaming with 120hz screen. Gs65 with 1070 qmax. Unless you do video stuff etc you won't even notice the 'lesser' performance but you will notice the quietness of the fans. You will hear the gpu fan with gaming but while working with even multiple vm's running the laptop is very quiet. And gaming wise 115 fps or 120 fps won't make a difference. :)

3. AndresHdz

AndresHdz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So even for heavy tasks you wouldn’t recommend that price difference?

4. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    A final thought for you. If you can't afford the time/expense of setting up and comparing two identical systems except for the processors in your actual workflows, do not spend the extra $$$. Theoretical performance increases rarely match real-world expectations in actual workloads/workflows.

(When they do though; then even a 50% increase in 'base' cost is worth a 5% increase in real performance/productivity when the system is used to produce paid-for-work for many hours per day).

As hinted at already from my first few posts, unless you have a system close to this level already, the 'base' setup you have chosen and is within your budget will be a bigger productivity (and gaming) boost than the last $500 you can spend on it).

Make sure you have done your homework regarding thermals, BIOS, and the cooling design of the chosen 'base' platform. If you have, and you must, buy it. There is nothing else to consider.

unclewebb and AndresHdz like this.
  5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If that was a MSI laptop where you could fully unlock the power limits, TDP and XTU/undervolting interface, it technically would be worth it if it was within your budget. The problem is with a 10980HK is, if you fully unlock everything, you run out of thermal headroom very fast, even with liquid metal. Even with AC and DC Loadline both set to 1 in VR settings, 5 ghz is going to be impossible because it gets too hot.

That being said, if you're going to get a 10875h, get a MSI laptop so you can undervolt and at least unlock it up to its thermal limit.

6. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Now that there is finally an 8-core/16 thread mobile i7, the huge premiums you pay for the mobile i9s and laptops with desktop CPUs have lost their luster.

The i7-10875H is just good enough.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  7. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not for an "extreme edition". Usually those are aimed at gamers with a little to much extra to spend if you get my drift. For real heavy long term tasks you should really be looking into workstation laptops with xeons, or fattops with desktop cpu's. Im not saying things like biosunlocked laptops dont have validity with respect to what your asking, but usually they are oriented specifically to gaming and usually have bad heatsinks, and not stability orientated like a workstation. Am I right in assuming your just wanting CPU power instead of gpu power? You might look at a Clevo NH58AF1 which can take a 12 core desktop ryzen. I would imagine you can even get away with a 16 core if you did the LM route and dont mind underclocking a little, but that would be for all cpu multi threaded performance, which isnt bad at all. If I had to guess, this is probably the perfect laptop for you: https://rjtech.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30767

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  8. Lzealot

Lzealot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    See if you have find some heavy load benchmarks over a greater time period. I have the i710875h and it is temp constrained big time in my laptop. I have the sager 17" np8378f2.

Check out the owner forums for the laptops your looking at. Most will post temps and benchmark numbers if u ask.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

9. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    If heavy workloads are truly a concern, and price is an issue, looking for laptops as a solution will always let you down in some way.

Consider a powerful desktop and a modest laptop.

tilleroftheearth and saturnotaku like this.
  10. AndresHdz

AndresHdz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i have, and it seems at the most a 10% increase in heavy load (varying on cooling)