Is the MX250 worth it over the Intel 620?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by dwang040, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The 1440p screen is worth getting on the T490. It's very bright and has excellent color gamut, higher than the 1080p panel.

Charles

2. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Respectfully, I personally feel otherwise, having the same panel in my X1C6. It's glossy, and not Macbook Pro or even Alienware M11x glossy. It's "at max brightness, I can still use it as a serviceable mirror in the office" glossy.

So high brightness is needed just to even see items on the screen. The PPI is also just high enough that native scaling is simply too small for all uses and cases (it's generally fine, but even with decent eyesight, it's going to strain my eyes to always see everything). Running 125% scaling is not always successful in windows 10 - even today, I can still occasionally catch native, Microsoft written Win10 system components with blurry presentation. It get worse when I dock and undock from my work setup, which has two dissimilar displays.

It also has somewhat slow response time. Not horribly slow, but still slow enough to be noticeable.

That being said, it is a beautiful display and when its good aspects can be enjoyed, they are wonderful (including the resolution).

As for the OP's question, the P43s is using the same chassis as the T490 (same small 50Whr battery). Only difference is a Quadro P520 instead of a MX250.

3. dwang040

dwang040 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm, I don't know why but I read the t490 had 8/9 hours where as the p43 only had 5 hours. Though, it was different websites so testing methods probably varies.

As for screen, I can't say I'm too picky with with the screen, resolution, and color acurracy (or course, better colors are always appreciated). But yeah, for reference, my desktop monitor is a LG 24gm77 which if I did my research correct, is roughly 72% of the ntsc color gamut. And that has worked well for me for 4 years now.

4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just bought another laptop this time with a mx150

I run Grid 2019 on all high and average 30fps at 1080p
    with a hd 620 I would see 10fps at 720p