Is the Huawei MateBook X Pro Worth It? Where Can I Buy It in the US?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by vestibule1443, Apr 24, 2019.

1. vestibule1443

vestibule1443 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My current laptop basically just kicked the bucket and I need to buy a new laptop within the next few days. I've seen that the Huawei MateBook X Pro got glowing reviews last year and that there is an updated version coming out "in April." I can't seem to find this new 2019 version anywhere online, is it not available still in the US? Where can I buy it?

I've heard that the Dell XPS 13 is similar, but I also understand that the Huawei crams a much bigger screen into the same form fact. Any thoughts on the Dell vs the Huawei?

General Questions

1) What is your budget? $1800

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Heavy browsing (dozens of tabs), and office tasks with large documents, lots of media, movies, music

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? taking it everywhere

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) no

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? the more the better

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? its ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) "ultraHD" above 1920x1080

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) dont care

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? not really

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? 512GB at least

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? NOW

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? A few years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? i dont like hypotheticals...

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? no

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'm guessing the new MateBook comes with an updated Whiskey Lake CPU, so it'll be a very modest performance bump if you're pushing the CPU, but your stated tasks don't really say high performance to me. If you can get better pricing on last years model, that might make sense from a value perspective.

I've not seen a MateBook, which makes it difficult to comment on, but the XPS seemed like very nice notebooks when I used them for a brief period if that makes any difference. Something like the ThinkPad X1 Carbon would be in a similar vein and is lighter than the Dell or MateBook. You can probably get one with WQHD and 512GB SSD at the top of your budget, but might do better price wise buying in the Lenovo Outlet. Most Outlet machines are returns sold with a nice discount. As long as it's not marked scratch and dent, it should look new. There will probably a refurbished sticker on the bottom, but that's easily peeled off.

3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The Matebook X Pro is available from the Microsoft store, which is actually one of the best places from which you can buy a laptop because of their solid return policy. It's only 14 days, but it's no questions asked.

4. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you want the mx150
    Which means you game a little..

I mean you game more than an Intel 630 can handle but less than a 1050 can handle which is actual games

That certain spot

Its the only thing exactly like it. I have a similar device a surface clone I love it I do some turn based games on the Intel 620 battery us awesome

The matebook would do gaming better if that's you you have really only this choice

5. vestibule1443

vestibule1443 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure that's last year's model isn't it? The graphics card there is listed as the 150 not the 250.

I'm actually kind of surprised there isn't more buzz about Huawei, I thought this laptop was supposed to be basically the best thing there is!

6. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The convenience of it is great look into the hassle you need to upgrade thr sss though

Mine you just open but many are made essentially un upgradeable.

Having a big ssd makes all thr difference.

And the screen is amazing I mean it's main work use is photo editting once you switch to pen with that you wont go back

All id say though is that in reality rhe mx250
    Is not a gaming powerhouse it wont run anything at all at that resolution so dont fall in love with it . it is an actual GPU so it will run a basic game

7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The lack of availability outside China, and Huawei's questionable relationship with the country's ruling government will hamper its ability to gain much traction in other first-world markets. It's a cool laptop for sure, but I certainly would not spend the kind of money it commands unless I could be assured of proper support either by the company or authorized retailer.

8. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The touch screen would make me pass.

9. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks expensive for the hardware it offers. Pretty Razer and Apple - like. hmm

10. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Not only is it expensive and lacking in support, but it also has quite a lot of build quality issues and quality control. Hell, when the owner's subreddit has a list of major problems and a PSA for knowing your consumer rights, you know there's an issue...

SkidrowSKT likes this.