Is the 120 gb5400rpm harddrive fast as the 60 gb 7200rpm?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by harddoom, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harddoom

harddoom Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Is the 120 gb5400rpm harddrive fast as the 60 gb 7200rpm?
    Cause if they are about the same speed, i would opt for the twice bigger harddrive

2. James

James Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    It all depends on your usage. If you feel you need more space, get the bigger hard drive. The 7200 Hard drive will give you better performance though. I opted for the bigger, slightly slower hard drive with my M170. I think its too inconvenient having to lug around an external drive.

3. mattskent

mattskent Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The 7200 rpm drive will be (possibly significantly) faster than the 5400 rpm drive. If you can live with 60 GB of space, then I would go with the faster drive, but if you need a bunch of space, you'll have to go with the 120 GB drive.

4. TheUndertow

TheUndertow Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The number equals the revolutions per minute (RPM) so the bigger the number the faster the drive. Some higher end drives do have faster seek speeds than others (I've read that the Seagate Momentus for one) so with some tasks it's possible for the 5400rpm to be equally fast, but that is the exception...not the rule.

If you have money to burn, buy a bigger 7200 drive - if you're not doing heavy editing (ie some editing programs REQUIRE a 7200rpm drive) or gaming though the 5400RPM will be fine.

5. _radditz_

_radditz_ Fallen to the Sith...

Reputations:
    The 7200 rpm will generate more heat though....

6. xAMDvsIntelx

xAMDvsIntelx Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And will get slightly worse battery life as well - about 15-25 minutes off of a 5400RPM drive.

7. Fredrick_NP

Fredrick_NP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well I think the 100GB 5400 is a nice choice because its cheaper, and uses less energy. Also the 100GB has a 8MB cahce that helps to offset its slowish RPM.

Also because it holds more data per platter, the arm doesn't have to move as much to access that data, which speeds things up a bit.

8. nbr42206

nbr42206 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Made this tradeoff myself. Went with the 120GB 5400rpm drive over the 60GB 7200rpm. Figured the space was worth more to me than the speed. Also, read a paper from Maxtor that compared performance of 7200rpm vs 5400rpm for set-top boxes and verdict was 7200 was overkill unless you had some application that really, really needed the speed. Since I ended up getting the E1705 with the downgraded gfx card (ATI x1400), the 7200 was overkill and more space was more important.

Also, there is a slight performance gain on larger drives vs. smaller drives of the same speed; and there is a slight power and heat savings with the slower drive.

9. Fredrick_NP

Fredrick_NP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ^What he said.

10. titaniummd

titaniummd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I got the 100 GB 7200 HD over the 120 GB 5400 RPM HD for 'performance'. I don't know exactly where the HD sits in the laptop but the Temp reading is 33 degrees Celcius.

I will tell you that my 9 cell battery with light intensity down to minimum gives me 8:30 of cordless time and 4:30 with wifi on and brightness set to automatic ambient adjustment.

There is a noticeable difference in the performance of a 7200 over a 4200 RPM configuration. I have not run benchmarks for direct comparison; however, the time for transferring files of large sizes takes a fraction of the time it would take when I used my old system.

New system: Dell D620, 7200 RPM 100 GB HD
    Old: Dell 6000, 4200 RPM, 60 GB HD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.