Is sudden acceleration bad for the car?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Pai, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runtohell121

runtohell121 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lol, I won't wait like 10 minute to let the oil temperature raise up before I drive it.. I don't have that much time. Buying a new car won't matter, just how well you treat your car... My dad's Honda Accord is still running good, it has at least 200k miles (not sure).

2. Pai

Pai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Woah! I didn't expect these many responses.
    Thanks everyone! rep+, edit: gotta wait 24 hours, i will make sure it delivers when it is available again..x2
    Also, just this morning, I let my car "warm-up" for a good minute or two, and it might be psychological but I felt that it drove better. xD

3. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    It will run smoother if you allow your transmission fluid to circulate and heat up, but with some automatic transmissions(dodge) then you have to put them in neutral for it to fully circulate, it wont do it in park.

4. MrX8503

MrX8503 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You don't have to wait 10 minutes. For my car I usually wait 1 minute, If I can't wait that long I normally stay under 3k rpms before driving normally.

When you drive right away on a cold engine, your engine throttles your RPM. Meaning the redline is set much lower so that you don't damage your engine. This makes your car stutter when you try to drive hard on a cold engine.

At least that's what happens with my RX8, then again RX8's are sensitive to temperatures.

5. Trottel

Trottel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Most cars don't do that. I know BMW's current M cars do that too. I don't know about the car stuttering. A rev limiter is only going to kick in when a certain rpm is reached, at which point fuel is no longer put into the combustion chamber. You can bounce the rpm's off the rev limiter, but any driving below it won't do anything. Maybe rotary engines are weird? :confused:

6. MrX8503

MrX8503 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well when I said I stutter, I mean what you're saying.

7. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    Well ... since it's a front drive car it certainly is not put together all that well.

The transmission isn't going to like it that much, "axle" shafts, ... basically everything behind the engine isn't going to like it.

I ... will NOT ... run a cold engine wide open. Besides what K-tron stated not being good for it, it's going to waste fuel if the engine isn't running off of the sensors and still "warming up".

8. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    you'd be surprised but flooring the car from the beginning is the best break in ever, as it worns out the uneven parts of the rings to the sleeves faster, which later holds better compression, thus givving more power.

as for running the car at WOT while cold - not very good due to the different expansion rate of the piston and the sleeve, thus possible chance of engine blockage (when the piston expands faster compared to the sleeve on cold start), and not to mention the oil characteristics being not so good at cold.

you dont have to wait for the car to warm up, just on cold start dont start driving fast. That of course depends on how cold your cold start is, cause if you're in Alaska then you may as well warm for little bit, lol.

didn't see if yours is manual or automatic, but if it's manual and if you want to launch fast with higher rpm then you may need to preload the transmission by holding it on half clutch while holding on the breaks at the same time, or else you may break stuff. If automatic then this doesnt matter as it preloads by itself anyways, but then the autos are not very strong trannies anyways so yeah, sux.

and if you want site that you can learn stuff for hondas, here: www.honda-tech.com . Just dont go under the forced induction section cause that's an addiction right there (how do I know, lol)

final words: drive it like you stole it. You'd be surprised how much them Civics can take, lol.

9. Trottel

Trottel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I really doubt it since manufacturers recommend taking it easy and not going over x rpm for y thousand miles.

10. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.