Is sudden acceleration bad for the car?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Pai, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pai

Pai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Our parents got a new car for my brother and I this past April, it is a 2009 Honda Civic coupe. Since it is our first car, a new car at that, we tried to do everything we can to "protect" it. (Kind of the like the affection, a person would have towards a new gadget/laptop :p). Anyways, my question being is it bad for the engine for us to suddenly accelerate to the point where the engine is running above 4k/rpm during initial acceleration, like starting from stop at a red light. If so, what kind of harm will it do to the engine?

P.S. We just had a 3000 miles maintenance done on the car at the dealership.

Also, does anyone know any good forum/website I can visit to learn more about car modifications? Can't hurt to know more right. ;)

2. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As long as it's not done continuously, it will not affect the life of the engine. In fact, occasionally accelerating up to the redline is actually good for the engine, as it allows all the valves to open up and prevent carbon buildup.

3. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    I also depends upon where you red line for me 4k rpm is lower than my cruising rpm on the free way.

4. narsnail

narsnail Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yea my cruising speed along the highway is about 3k, so I dont think 4k would be damaging to me, but I know our standard 04 Civic craves the high revs because it has no low end power.

To accelerate quickly in that car your going to need the rev that high, that or just accelerate slowly.

5. runtohell121

runtohell121 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It shouldn't do much harm. Just don't do it so often. The redline for civic is around 6.5k rpm I believe (could be wrong). just don't go pass 6k rpm that often. I own an 98 Acura Integra, which I usually push it to around 5k rpm to pass some people lol. For cruising speed, about 70 mph, the engine runs around 3k-3.5k rpm. going around 95-100mph, cars rpm reaches around 4k-4.5k in my dad's Honda Accord o_O so it shouldn't be doing much damage as far as I know.

6. narsnail

narsnail Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Oh wow people are pretty conservative when it comes to passing eh? I usually almost redline when i'm passing.

7. runtohell121

Reputations:
    It's pretty hard to get it to redline :p unless I really need to go fast >< which I don't really want to speed that much either. I just step on the gas a little more than usual when passing, but my dad, it's a whole different story, he'll step to almost redline going from 55 to 70+ :D

8. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    Sudden acceleration when the engine is cold, is really bad for the engine. When the engine is cold, and your forcing the engine to run fast, you are generating a ton of heat. The piston rings get worn very fast when you race a cold engine.
    The same happens to a warm engine, when you race it. The coefficients of expansion cause the rings to wear at different rates. A steady speed is much better for an engine rather than racing it up and down the governed limits.

K-TRON

9. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    What K-tron is saying makes sense, but lets be honest, your not going to wait for your car to heat up everytime, and you will be reving pretty high to pass and for other reasons(fun :D ). So lets look at the engineering of the motor, they build those things to redline and a lower RPM than what is damaging to the motor, I'm not saying to lock it down into second gear so its redlining all the time, but having it go up there every now and then isn't that bad.

10. runtohell121

Reputations:
    heh I agree with Syndrome :). I don't wait for my car to warm up every day ><. I'm usually in a rush to drive to school :D lol. the max time I'll let it idle/warm up in the morning, would most likely be 3 minute max.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.