Is Razer QA really that bad?

Discussion in 'Razer' started by AnnekeVanG, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It’s a harsh lesson that you have to learn first hand. Everyone online that reviews their laptops praises the hell out of the compact MacBook like design and how great they are. So everyone thinks they’re a great company to buy from. And to be honest this is why no one else tries to push design like them. It just causes problems.

don_svetlio likes this.
  2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The problem is that when you just started using a laptop like this it will perform quite well most of the time. Most problems start happening a year after, just when your warranty expires. Reviews unfortunately do not touch the reliability aspect :(

Terreos and don_svetlio like this.
  3. Terreos

Reputations:
    That is definitely true. But, Linus from Linustechtips religiously uses Razer laptops for the last few years. And he’s never been someone to call out manufactures on stuff like bad support. He strangely no Long has his Razer Blade and used an LG Gram.

I personally am done with them. I’m hoping to sell my current laptop from them and move onto a new company. Who will get my business next is still to be determined. Lol

rinneh and don_svetlio like this.
  4. X33nbat

X33nbat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    All three models are made by BYD (Build Your Dreams) in Shenzhen , although for the first couple of years the 17" was made by Gigabyte. You can tell by the serial number.

Razer is big on industrial design and branding. Since the ID is integral to the design, not just a skin, then Razer provides the bulk of the design while BYD handles tooling, manufacturing processes, testing, and most of EE design, layout, and component selection.

Vistar Shook and rinneh like this.
  5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Interesting, going to check it out whats up with that company. But did Gigabyte also make the actual chassis? Because the Gigabytes that I have owned where terribly made. The internals from Razer might not be great because of the thermals, the actual chassis is nicely made.

6. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The chassis only "appear" premium - the actual build quality is light years behind Apple (the products they *tried* to copy). It's extremely easy to bend, bruise or batter a Razer laptop. As for internals - heat is the least of their worries - overloaded power delivery, BIOS chips under the heatsink, poor component choice - it has a LOT of issues. Issues that are reminiscent of the early 2000s when everyone was just starting to figure out what doesn't make electronics die.

7. Terreos

Reputations:
    I don’t think gigabyte made the chassis for the Razer products. Just basing that off of the CEO’s attitude and how he would not want anyone to take claim for any of Razer’s Genious. There was a post from member on the Razer forums complaining that when he repasted his Razer Blade 14 his thermals got worse. The CEO commented on that post saying he shouldn’t be opening his laptop and that the Razer engineers are only qualified to put therma paste on Razer laptops. But the problem was that the heat sink was disigned so poorly that you needed to use a ton of thermal paste for the heat sink to contact the cpu and gpu. Because Razers Genious engineers left a gap.

The internals of the Razer Blade 14 currently are rather well done. Build quality is actually really nice. But, I agree with don_svetlio. Apples laptops are a lot better built and a lot more premium than Razer. I’ve owned and used both brands.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  8. X33nbat

X33nbat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ah, forgot that part.... Gigabyte used BYD as the supplier for the chassis on the first 17" and then Razer switched to BYD to make the whole thing for later models.

I know people complain about the thermals, and yes the Blades do have higher skin temperatures than other notebooks, but the thermal design is actually quite advanced. The reason some people may run at a nice 50C while others run at 80C (all else being equal) has more to do with manufacturing quality and consistency than it does design. Resistance to innovation of the thermal solution is one of the major things that has kept other manufacturers from even trying to do what Razer has done.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I kinda have to disagree there, when they used direct contact heatpipes they really dropped the ball and they are loud as well. When I tested a Razer blade (2015 model) the heat inside was killing the battery enormously fast (similar to the Gigabyte P34w v3 issues).

I think with the state of hardware now it is kinda impossible to get more out of it without increasing the noise to even higher levels or accept high thermals.

The blade 14 would be a better product if they would turn it into a 15inch laptop. That extra inch in size could make the heatsinks so much larger.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  10. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Exactly. They need a flat contact surface to touch the die. This won't change however. Very Obvious they left the heat pipes bare to save on thickness of welding on flat plate (only about 2mm in retrospect). Nothing innovative about that

I am having trouble trying to decipher your third sentence... Typing too early in the morning? ;)