Is RAID0 a good option?

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by BlackJair, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJair

BlackJair Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, i have just bought a 500GB HDD for my R2 and am thinking of using the RAID0 option, but im new on that, i just know that it may "optimize" or make it faster but i dont know...

Is it a good option or i should just let it as a slave disk?

2. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    RAID0 basically combines the speeds of two drives into one. You will have to reformat everything though. It is up to you whether you deem it to be necessary.

3. BlackJair

Reputations:
    Yes, i know i must reformat my lap, but does the speed perfomance is that notable?

because i have heard that using RAID0 is "the best thing" but im not pretty sure so i want a second opinion.

4. SlickDude80

SlickDude80 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    the biggest knock on RAID 0 is that if one of your drives dies, you lose all your data.

however, it is much faster

5. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    For most intents and purposes, people cannot tell the difference with RAID 0. You will notice slightly faster boot up times and still should load faster, but you are also taking a gamble, as if 1 drive dies, you lose everything. Also with 2 drives, you also double your chance of failure.

6. Syredisa057

Syredisa057 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    oh! so that's how RAID0 performs?, i mean if one of my drive died, i will lose everything even in my second drive?

7. SlickDude80

SlickDude80 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    yes, that's how it works...because windows treats both drives as a single drive...when data is stored, you don't know where on each drive its stored. Data can be split for a single program across both drives so if you lose one, you lose everything

8. Jody

Jody Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    RAID 0 is striped. That means that when you write a file to the hard drive it is split up. Part of the file is written to one disk and part of it to the other disk. In theory, the operating system can finish the operation faster since it can write each half of the data package simultaneously which should be twice as fast as waiting on one drive to record the data. The down side is that if one drive dies, all you have left is half of every file which is useless. The upside is that reads and writes are faster.

With write back caching and other performance enhancing techniques used by Windows these days to make single drive operations faster, striping is not exactly twice as fast as regular writing but it is still faster.

I personally have no problem with my customers running in RAID 0 but ONLY if they routinely make good backups of their machine. If the machine doesn't routinely back up to an external disk, tape, or online service, RAID 0 is too risky. If a single drive starts having problems, a lot of times you can still at least copy the data off before it completely dies. A pair of RAID 0 drives is hard to make work correctly in another computer so you can rescue your data especially if one of the drives is having problems. It's faster but it's a little precarious. I personally don't run my machines that way because I'm not very disciplined about backing up.

9. TurbodTalon

TurbodTalon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This probably isn't what you want to hear, but you're better off having an SSD for OS and programs, games, etc., and then a large HDD for storage of music, movies, and that sort of thing. SSD speed will still destroy RAID0 HDD.

10. BlackJair

Reputations:
    Yeah... I know about SSD speed, but im from méxico so a SSD worths about 500 Dls the 256GB so i think its not an option.

I have read what i wanted, im moving to RAID0, because i make a backup of every data i have once a week(External HDD).

Thanks a lot for your answers c:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.