Is Notebook review slowly dying?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by yosv211, Mar 8, 2021.

1. yosv211

yosv211 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I remember from about 7+ years ago, this website had alot more traffic. The threads where more active with more posts than today.

I know notebook review is not dead yet, but over the years I've noticed less people posting new threads or I'm seeing people not post anything on most threads for days. Even some of the more active people dont even post anymore.

Whats everyone's option on this. Is notebook review slowly dying?

2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I'd imagine its more so as the US and other countries open back up to for business a lot of people are focusing on their own circumstances and getting back to work, re-establishing their respective baselines.

3. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There isn't as much incentive to head to notebook forums as there used to be. There are fewer ways to change how your laptop performs now, and an out of the box system is typically a competent system, while say 10 years ago a new low or medium budget system would struggle to play modern games at all.

dmanti and Fishon like this.
  4. thewizzard1

thewizzard1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'm still young, but forums aren't anything like what they were 5 years ago, or 10 years ago even.

If the site had more of the published editorial content like honest reviews and comparisons (like most sites now-a-days) spread to Facebook, Reddit and the ilk, it might attract more discussion here.

5. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    Yea, the world's just changing. 10 years ago I lived on this site. This place was my world. Then I got married, had kids, etc. Still passively read, but don't contribute near to the level I did. Computers simply fell down the priority list. But man, did I love this community.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    radji, Papusan, Jarhead and 2 others like this.
  6. TreeTops Ranch

TreeTops Ranch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe most millennials use phones instead of computers so they don't even know about this great site. :)

Papusan and Tenoroon like this.
  7. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The world has changed and younger people are using social media sites instead of older forums sites like NBR.

8. Tenoroon

Tenoroon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can't speak too much on behalf of this website as I'm quite new. I remember being here about 2 years ago as I was thinking about putting a 980M in my Ranger, but that was before I had my 970M laptop.

Being a younger person, I can say that people around my age just don't want to understand technology as much as some older people. People my age just buy something and hope it works, and if it breaks, they would rather take it into a shop than to learn about said piece of technology and service it. It also is a double-edged sword in regards to how tech is nowadays. It's a lot easier to pick up and use a laptop than it was 10-20 years ago, which is good, but that also means people using the laptop will not fully understand it as well. I definitely don't see this forum dying, but I can see it losing more steam within the next few years. I mainly think that forums like this decline because tech has gotten easier, which leads to people not fully learning things, and gives people less of a reason to come to websites like this one.

More of an off-topic thing, but a lot of my younger family and friends come to me whenever something isn't working right or if something is being weird and they ask something along the lines of:
    Hey Tenoroon, I have this device, and (insert common issue,) is there anything you can do to fix it?
    I usually say something a long the lines of "Look it up, try to learn how to fix your issue, and if you can't find anything, come back to me and then we'll talk about it." It kind of saddens me because people seem to be so scared of taking stuff apart nowadays, I just wish people understood that most of the time, when you take something apart, nothing will break. It also saddens me that some people's first reaction to an issue is to take it to someone who knows a lot, but 99% of the time, you can look up an issue you are having with something, and find an answer.
    Alright, I'll stop ranting now.

TL;DR: As someone who is younger, I can say that forums like this will start to decline as tech is getting easier to understand, and people are starting to care less.

Papusan likes this.
  9. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm pretty new here compared to most regular posters but what got me here was my old m6700, (and still owned m4600) which I could work on almost as much as a car, just searching the web for info from real people who did what I wanted to do it came up a lot in searches so I naturally joined. It's actually pretty hard and getting harder to get real people and not AI bots, corporate reps or fluff level likes seeking "experts" and this site has a lot more real experts from DIY not generalizations from some class they took or useless company standard links etc. But there is just less relevance for me now that I don't have my m6700 and I'm done with any upgrading or tearing apart my m4600. Now I use a new laptop that's sealed in place.

A fully upgradeable newer version of similar to the M6700 would cost way way too much for my needs/budget and to fix/replace my old m6700 would cost close to what my new laptop cost for only really old equipment. To replace my 980m that was in my m6700 would be almost 300 bucks, much better to put that into a new laptop cost with 75% more graphical power and 50% more cpu power. To get the same cpu I had in the m6700 would cost 200$ etc etc

If you get a newer laptop there's really nothing to mod or upgrade yourself anymore, it's all just ram, hard drives, wifi card, low level stuff. Those are not really things that most people need too much help with and like mentioned people are just infantilized by N and it's more about taking it into the shop for anything, buying a new one or warranty and just a disposable tool for entertainment. They just don't make fully upgradeable for less than thousands of dollars anymore. Everything else is mostly locked now, even keyboards. Kinda like cars, you need a computer to work on them(or notebook lol), they're mostly sealed off. Old cars you could reasonably work on a lot of them yourself and understand how they worked, they don't make them that way anymore for profit reasons, higher tech reasons etc.

I have noticed that a lot of this site apart from the forums has not been updated for years in some cases. There's no new stuff other than highlighting mostly old posts. It could be that there's just not the money for the authorship and equipment to do testing of new hardware or the contacts to get free loaner hardware to review/test. Notebookcheck seems to have all that but not a decent forum following like this does. NBC's comment structure is illogical and confusing too,reminds me of the old RPN HP calculators strangely. This site does not actively promote either from what I see, it's not flashy thankfully imo.

It also makes sense that life happens and priorities change, and there are no, or less, replacements bc of the above reasons. Young people(and all ages) are just too immersed in instant gratification entertainment and geared/raised towards just going to experts and disposable everything, not necessarily their fault. I'm kinda glad I'm not younger and was not raised in this current culture or a large city/high pop. state. Fluff has just gotten out of control imo.

So yeah I think you're right it will decline for the most part other than those who get used old equipment and want to DIY upgrade or those who spend thousands for a fully DIY system. But in the case of the old used diy systems there's just not as much there anymore physically, mxm was phased out for the most part and hard to find/way too expensive/not worth it for old stuff, same goes for any old computer equipment. It becomes "rare" and goes up in price for lower and lower performance compared to just buying new.

Tenoroon likes this.
  10. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    To give my two cents on the "forum vs social media" thing, it probably doesn't help much that it's somewhat trivial to find a technology subreddit or Facebook group or whatever, whereas you have to specifically search out for technology (or other) forums like NBR. Back a decade or so ago (give or take), you pretty much had to do the latter if you wanted to find detailed info about whatever topic you're looking for, but these days it's more of an "optional" thing than anything else.

Fishon and DR650SE like this.