]]>

Is my m14x r1 busted?

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by logo897, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. logo897

logo897 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all,

Well I wanted to follow a tutorial to take apart my laptop that was heavily recommended so I could replace my thermal paste and I did it successfully, however, I put it back together successfully, or so I thought, until my power button made smoke when I turned it on. My computer beeped 5 times after that and then it is a solid blue and will not boot. Now, my power strip to the power button broke unexpectedly(pins fell off) and my PC won't turn on. Nothing even registers when I go plug it in.

What's wrong? Is it busted now? :(

2. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    This happened to me a couple years ago. I simply restarted the PC and it booted back up. If this doesn't do it, you can try re-seatting all components. Don't leave aside the CMOS battery (the 5 beeps code means that the CMOS battery might be disconnected or may have been removed temporarily).

3. simonmpoulton

simonmpoulton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sounds like cmos battery not connected but you'll probably need to get a new power button given you said it broke before you can try to turn it on again.

4. logo897

logo897 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi all, I have successfully gotten a new power button after a long time. I have went on to ebay and bought one for 9 dollars! I also re-applied thermal paste, but my laptop still appears to get extremely hot, so I'm using a usb fan on the laptop as well. Things are better with this fan. I have also bought a new cmos battery and successfully installed it and ran a built in diagnostic test. Everything is working great.

My main question now is:

Are there any ways I can renew my warranty with this laptop? Alienware m14x r1. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.