Is my 7720G dead? Can I resurrect it?

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Tarkonte, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Tarkonte

Tarkonte Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi All again.
    My old, faithful mate of many working and amusing days and nights is almost dead, or it's like to.
    Today I was browsing on my 7720G when system froze and BSOD screen appeared, WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.
    I've tried to reboot but system started showing a kind of blurring screen.
    Disk (240GB Kingston SA400 SSD) seems to function, its led shows normal activity, but blurring grows like an effect that fall down along the display.
    After a couple of hours or more, I've tried to reboot. System started, Windows logo was displayed but windows begin with system recovery. After some time, system hangs before showing desktop.
    Again, power off and back to power on, but blurring suddenly appears.
    I thought that the GPU was dead but the positive POST process makes me wonder if I'm wrong.
    I don't think that disk is broken, system hangs after 40 seconds of activity. Should it be faulty, it couldn't boot at all, is it?
    Beside that, I really have no idea about what is wrong and how could I fix it.
    Any suggestion?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    When was the last time you opened the laptop up and cleaned it from dust buildup or replaced the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU?
    If it wasn't recently, I suggest you do so now... and while repasting, use either GC Gelid Extreme or Kryonaut (the latter takes heat better away from the hw, so Kryonaut might be a better option).

What you could also try on a software level are a few things:
    System restore would be the first thing to try if it works (try to restore to last known version).
    If that doesn't work, a full wipe of the SSD and clean Windows install would be the second best option to try.

If none of that works (namely, if you continue experiencing same problems), its quite likely that some of the HW is failing. Could be the GPU.

Screen blurring to me indicates a possible GPU failure, but then again its the first I heard of such a description of how it comes about - until I read your laptop specs.
    The repasting could help (but not if the solder on the GPU is going - which I suppose is possible given that its most likely an 8400M GS which did have a bad solder issue back in the day).

If it is the solder, you should consider getting a new laptop.
    Some people managed to temporarily patch up the problem by baking their GPU's in the oven (or should I say, their mobos), but its not reliable, and it tended to simply cause the problem to re-occur down the line again (it was a temporary fix that lasted a few days perhaps, not sure).
    In most cases, oven baking the mobo to resolder the connections ended up frying the motherboard actually... so I wouldn't do this if I was in your shoes.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  3. Tarkonte

Tarkonte Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for your support.
    Yes, effectively it's a long time I didn't renew the thermal paste.
    And I've noted that temps were very high, with fan often to max speed for long time.
    But I agree with you that probably is the GPU. Perhaps the oven trick could help (I know people that cooked for half a hour @ 200 °C the nVidia card, and they were all recovered) and probably I will try.
    I wouldn't buy a replacement card, because they costs from 50€ to 70€ depending on the chipset & RAM. I've found a 7750 in optimal conditions to replace my 7720, at only few euros more...

4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You should try repasting first and removing excess dust from the unit (make sure to pay attention to area between the fans and air vents) along with system restore (or full clean Windows install).
    If the same problem persists, I suppose you could try baking the GPU in the oven if you want, but as I explained above, the success rate of oven baking the GPU is dubious at best and needs precision.... and even then its not guaranteed it will work (I'd sooner not bother with oven baking because even if it works, it would only continue for a very brief amount of time before the solder starts causing issues again - many people ended up with their GPU's going dead a few days after the baking and were right back where they started).

If you found 7750 in optimal conditions, then great, but some of the 7750's don't seem to have dedicated GPU's, so you should make sure if you get it, get one with a dedicated GPU (and repaste that one as soon as you get it).

GeLid GC Extreme or Kryonaut should be fine for repaste (I'd go for Kryonaut just in case as it has better thermal conductivity, although that's not a guarantee it will be better by default).

Alternatively, consider spending more money and get a laptop with more modern specs that would suit your needs (if you tell us what they are, we might be able to help you find an affordable modern unit).

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019