Is Mcafee anti virus any good? Advice please

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Joshg94, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg

Greg Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    McAfee has been, and always shall be, garbage. I've personally seen it let old malware through and ruin a PC, then issue false positives, and there's been several instances recently where updates to McAfee would bork your Windows installation. Avoid.

2. AndrewM72

AndrewM72 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've honestly had decent luck with Microsoft Security Essentials as well. I know it doesn't test that high but it somehow has kept me free and clean since it came out. Norton and McAfee are just no-no's to me. I've had more experience with Norton products and I swear they've wound up killing systems before, especially when trying to remove them.

3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Microsoft Security Essentials for real-time protection and Malwarebytes for on-demand scanning is a pretty potent combination.

4. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The latest versions of nortron are actually alright, it used to be a piece of crap like McAfee before though.

5. MadHater

MadHater Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Malwarebyte's is probably the best addition of it's kind to every antivirus installed on the system, but as the guy above stated, you have to pay for the version with the real - time protection.

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mcafee is a no-go. Kaspersky Intenet Security with Malwarebytes paid, and a little common sense. :thumbsup:

7. joeyboy

joeyboy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mcafee anti virus is ok i here there 2013 are becoming better but I think you can do better, I don't think there the leader in AV

8. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    I use McAfee and havn't had any issues. That said, I don't go clicking on everything. Been years since I've had a virus. I'll be looking for a new AV in the new future since my 3 year (or was it 4?) McAfee subscription expires in a couple of months. I want something with real-time scanning since I have family over a lot that uses my system.

9. ikovac

ikovac Cooler and faster... NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    See how the new McAfee 2013 beta surrenders to malware here: McAfee Security 2013 BETA - YouTube

Try the new Comodo 6.0 in a couple of months when your license expires. Very low resources and good behavioural detection along with a new virtualization engine. They even fixed signature detection.

Cheers,

Ivan

10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    MSE may not score high in detection rates... but its false positive numbers are essentially non-existent.
    I think this is the reason it scores lower than other AV's (but still high enough).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.