Is laptops innovation dead at the moment

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by cooldex, Apr 30, 2019.

1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Half the reason to not get a fruity computer is the mickey mouse os on it. The other half is the ancient hardware (except right at launch, sometimes) and the make eggs for breakfast heat output when any work is required from it. Or the way you're limited to a keyboard and touchpad/mouse (if you're lucky).

Oh yeah... no reason to buy a fruity computer, 100%. :p:p:p

Papusan and Starlight5 like this.
  2. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    Sorry, but until the day Apple authorized technicians will be coming to homes & offices to fix Macbooks on-site without interrupting workflow, I will have to disagree.

That, and a Macbook model with pen&touch input, and some sort of convertible design, is desperately needed.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Papusan, Mr. Fox and tilleroftheearth like this.
  3. Mr.K-1994

Mr.K-1994 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You heard about the display cables' incidents on newer models right?

If they continue to manufacture them like that, convertibles will only kill the screen sooner.

4. Starlight5

Reputations:
    It is Apple's fault, not some objective technology problem. On many convertible devices, LCD and/or digitizer cables failure occur only after years of use. Even when it happens, that should be an easy repair. If it's not - engineers developing the product - or rather the executives who approved/enforced this design choice on the engineers, because I fail to believe engineers with enough hardware design experience simply overlooked such rampant problem - are responsible.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  5. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Apple has a convertible MacBook, the Ipad Pro!

6. Starlight5

Reputations:
    Due to restrictive nature of iOS, it still requires syncing to a device running proper OS to be productive, otherwise way too much frustration using it.

7. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    If that is the ONLY issue you had with MacBook - then you are very lucky person ;-)

Personally I've had enough with it after suffering with magnetic power supply connector which became WORSE in A1502, the power supply cable which I had to change after 1 year because of fragile (too soft and too thin) materials Apple used for it (I have never had to do that for any laptop from other brands) and the visual changes to OS which went from elegant to looking something like it was designed by Fisher Price, with flat elements, bright colors and less shadows (OSX Yosemite). Oh and listening to noisy fan when using Windows (yes, Windows is unquestionably less power efficient but it's still something I use most of the time so I used it through BootCamp) was also not pleasant and there was nothing I could do, even repasting with LM won't help if you have a single tiny heatsink with exhaust partially restricted by display hinge which also reflects fan noise right at you when the display is open (one of the most idiotic designs, too bad Razer and Gigabyte has copied it).

But hey, plenty of people still like MacOS and other proprietary software so Apple will continue doing this kind of stuff for as long as those people will keep using it. I personally stopped using any of Apple's products and I don't see myself returning to them any time soon but if other people are still satisfied (for any reason, most are too lazy to learn anything other than, say, Final Cut Pro and some like to go to local Apple store and just say "hey you, do stuff to fix it" to store Geniuses regardless of how much it will cost outside of warranty coverage) - that's ok with me ;-)

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The people that will actually repair or upgrade their notebook themselves are in the vast minority. There's a lot of things OS X is good at. If it wasn't for the atrocious keyboard I'd like my MacBook, as it stands now it's a necessary annoyance. I rarely use it outside of doing work though.

9. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you need to sync, you are using the device wrong. Stop blaming Apple for your mistakes

Starlight5 and tilleroftheearth like this.
  10. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Apple bashing aside, I have always liked the 2012 Macbook Pro 13 and I still plan to pick up one and restore it.

Pending the battery life, I may even bring it around as a daily on the go machine. For when the battery dies on the AW13 R3