Is laptops innovation dead at the moment

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by cooldex, Apr 30, 2019.

1. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    That's true, battery capacity can always be useful for people who like to use laptop away from any outlet. Unfortunately there's not much innovation with batteries in general - Tesla still can't do anything like a 600 miles between charges and even our Dyson V10 still lasts about 20 minutes on medium power setting with powerhead.

2. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    We got solid state storage, storage multiple times faster than hard drives. We have transistor CPUs, hugely more efficient than vacuum tubes. It's about time we get solid state batteries

3. Mr.K-1994

Mr.K-1994 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Solid state batteries? How about a self-replenishable one? And more efficiency, like 90Wh in the size of a SSD.

4. Richard Zheng

Reputations:
    Self replenishing? Maybe not so soon. But I certainly see bigger batteries that charge much faster coming within a decade

5. Mr.K-1994

Mr.K-1994 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    We already saw fast charging on smartphones, why can't the same thing exists on laptops?

6. Richard Zheng

Reputations:
    It is a thing already. Some Lenovo’s support fast charging

Starlight5 likes this.
  7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    And yet, majority of people's commute tops out to under 50 miles... only 2% of drivers actually have larger requirements.
    Tesla is making models in the 400 mile range... but realistically, multiple proposals were published for batteries (molten salt batteries for one thing), sodium batteries, sugar batteries, existing batteries enhanced with Zinc.

The problem is that despite the research showing significant breakthroughs... money simply isn't being shuffled into those projects.

Furthermore, there's a huge industry behind existing batteries which depends heavily on profits from mining materials (an outdated and inhumane practice to be honest - we piled up way too many landfills as is, and we could simply reclaim all of those raw materials and use those instead, and yet, there's way less than 10% of any kind of waste that's being recycled.

Laptops could stand to gain from the following:
    Improved displays (obviously). The OEM's could simply choose a better/higher end panel for each size as opposed to using different kinds for each laptop... standardization makes things easier.
    Improved cooling designs - this is a huge one actually considering that basic cooling in laptops hasn't really changed in decades. Carbon composites would be better options for cooling mechanisms, also, a waste heat reclamation system of sorts that can shuffle the recycled power into the battery and extend one's use on the go.
    Improved batteries.
    Less cutting around the corners by giving people higher quality components and improve quality control standards while simultaneously lowering the price (most of us know that OEM's tend to overcharge for many things just because they can, even though actual manufacturing costs are multiple times lower).
    Improved customer support (majority of this is abysmal and some of them even don't know the basics).
    Improved internal layout and modularity for future upgrade paths.
    Unlocked BIOS/UEFI.

I could probably think of more if I wasn't so tired from my trip.
    Better hit the sack.

hfm, 0lok, Starlight5 and 1 other person like this.
  8. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    This is true, but I know many people who still take long trips in cars, especially in USA where the railroad connection between cities is laughable compared to EU and some Asian countries (or even Russia - all of trains there are slow but there are much more destinations which can be reached by train). Plus it's about convenience - the less often people will be forced to charge the more convenient it is, especially when dealing with wires (wireless charging could be a good step but it is still too far away for cars even though many smartphone users have been enjoying it for many years).
    And yes, despite many "breakthroughs" in battery research there is still not enough money being put into them to bring them to market faster.

That would be nice but I believe many laptop manufacturers don't want that to happen to encourage people to spend more money on upgrading the whole laptop instead of individual components. Especially companies like Apple who went as far as soldering RAM to motherboard or requiring proprietary SSD firmware for storage upgrade (I remember trying to upgrade SSD on my old MacBook Pro). Plus I don't believe many users themselves (outside of some enthusiasts) would want to spend more money on "somewhat upgradeable" components like MXM cards, which they may never need to use. So personally I just gave up on that and don't see this changing much.

Starlight5 likes this.
  9. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    Individuals - maybe. But upgradeable goes hand in hand with repairable, and that is something corporate IT departments do really care about.

10. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Yes, repairability is a good point and it's definitely cheaper to swap the motherboard only than the motherboard with something like soldered GPU and CPU. On the other hand, if the corporation will prefer to just rely on manufacturer and the warranty provided by it for all hardware repairs (and if they just buy new laptops once the several years of warranty expire) this factor would be pretty irrelevant (of course, not all corporations have such policies).