Is laptops innovation dead at the moment

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by cooldex, Apr 30, 2019.

1. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @tilleroftheearth the quote above is basically the thing i care much less about, but the same could be said for intel and your "historical" fact.

when only talking about value with 1700x/2700x to me who wants performance its not that enticing. i'd still pay 60% premium for that extra performance if my budget allows it. same would apply when you talk about intel's historical fact and future fact etc, they've got nothing to show.

with AMD they currently do have some leaks and leaks suggest it is on par with intel. even assuming that it is close enough within 2-3% ipc or frequency, or both. ASSUMING it is BOTH and zen2 is STILL behind intel 2-3%, i'd say it is good enough for me to take 3% less frequency AND 3% less IPC while having double amount of cores and uses less power.

ajc9988 likes this.
  2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    No, I was meaning the author of the article he cited, not you, in that instance. I do apologize about any confusion on that! It was not directed at you at all.

On the new 10nm Ice lake, there should be more of an improvement. Cannon was only a die shrink, not an architectural refinement. Ice lake should have the refinement, plus should be on 10nm+ process, meaning that there should be less frequency regression compared to what was seen from that token chip.

ole!!! likes this.
  3. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I'm all for the real thing again.

tilleroftheearth and Papusan like this.
  4. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Laptops desperately need 5Gig-E. Gig-E Ethernet isn't good enough, and nobody wants to carry around a dongle.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  5. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    why not 10 GE

6. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Still takes too much power, today.

ole!!! likes this.
  7. Zymphad

Zymphad Zymphad

Reputations:
    Yeah I hope soon the 10g is the standard.

8. rickybambi

rickybambi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I go back and forth internally on whether innovation is dead or not but I feel like I see promising ideas here and there, mostly small things.

As an example, HP’s new Omen gaming laptop will be the first to have liquid metal applied at the factory which I’m thinking will be a positive trend if it catches on. The 2nd screen aspect, I’m not so sure on yet but it’s definitely an innovation and not something I’ve seen, at least in that location before.

ole!!! likes this.
  9. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    woulda been nice if it was a 20 inch laptop.

Kyle likes this.
  10. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Thought ASUS was going the LM thing too. Second screen, I'm not sold on, there were a couple of models that did that in the past (usually replacing or flipping the numpad) and I don't recall that being terribly popular.