Is it worth it to buy an ssd?

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Djeremie, Mar 21, 2018.

1. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That last part last longer is a double edge sword. Not all SSD are created equal and when it fail everything is gone with HDD you can still get the data. So let's not give bad information here. SSD are cheaper assuming your driver is under 500gb start going bigger and the cost rises as oppose to HDD.

2. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    1) This is more like, "with HDD you *might* be able to get the data"

2) Regardless, always, always, always make backups and have a good backup strategy, this makes the loss of any drive a moot point.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    With proper backups, it is a moot point. However, data recovery from a SSD isn’t really a thing, whereas on HDDs it’s certainly possible.

4. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That is right Jarhead, without proper backup forget any recovery options. This is why I have multiple HDD for archives and one SSD for image backup of the O/S drive so if it fails I just pop in new one and reboot and get right back working. I never say anything onto the main NVMe drive but onto other HDD to prevent data loss.

5. captaincranium

captaincranium Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Short and to the point.....

YES

inm8#2 likes this.
  6. Snearl

Snearl Newbie

Reputations:
    I am another vote for "Yes." At least on the boot drive, depending on budget concerns. Upgraded a desktop and laptop a few years back with 256 Gb SATA SSDs. No regrets. Looking into NVMe boot drive for my next laptop purchase.

7. cuse

cuse Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anything that's less than 100 usd and is a superior upgrade is always worth buying for.

500gb has been hovering around 85 usd for a long while.

8. Josh Hardin

Josh Hardin Newbie

Reputations:
    In every aspect SSD is life changing. I have SSD in both my gaming computer, gaming laptop, and work laptop. For boot ups, load screens, and running CAD software I have noticed significant speed increases. You will see a difference and with the deals going especially now the price to value is excellent.

9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Don't buy no-name cheap SSD's if reliability is your goal. There are a ton of really bad SSD's out there and you can just check feedback for long term issues. And with all the recent firesale price dumping lately, best off sticking with (newer) Adata, Samsung, Western Digital, Crucial (Micron) and Intel for a shortlist.
    adata can be very hit or miss with some older models being very unreliable. The Adata XPG SX8200 seems to be as fast as a samsung 970 evo, if you can find it on sale it may be a decent choice.

10. eth3rton

eth3rton Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes, but why not buy both? The best SSD you can afford and the largest HDD? boot/storage

Jarhead likes this.