Is it worth buying a new notebook before Intel Ice Lake launches?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Richdog, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Richdog

Richdog Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys. As per title, I am wondering if it is really worth buying a new notebook (gaming or ultrabook) before the new 10nm series of Intel Ice Lake processors launch.

For anyone wondering what benefit Ice link will bring please this article or do some googling: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/intel-ice-lake-cpu-everything-you-need-to-know/

To summarize:
    • Faster processors per mhz
    • 2x faster integrated graphics
    • Gigabit wifi
    • Connectivity improvements
    While you can argue that there is "always something better around the corner", Ice Lake is the first 'serious' CPU refresh in some years, and paying full price for a notebook with Coffee Lake 14nm processors now may not be so wise when we are about to receive a true generational update in literally only a couple/few months from now that may increase the practical lifespan and usefulness of your notebook by 1-2 years.

Thoughts? :)

2. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Do you need a laptop now? Buy now. Otherwise, if you want to wait for something new, by all means. But it really is a case of “there’s always something new around the corner” and Intel literally just released their 9th gen processors, so you’re going to be waiting for a while.

That said, what tasks do you plan on doing that a current laptop is unable to perform and thus must have to wait for this new tech?

Aroc and rlk like this.
  3. Richdog

Richdog Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think you misunderstood the point of my post, or didn't read it thoroughly considering that to some extent you are repeating what I wrote.

4. franzerich

franzerich Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I actually wondered about the same. I would like an Ice-Lake or Comet-Lake over the umpteenth refresh of Coffee-Lake. Though not sure when it really arrives.

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    No, you're the one who didn't answer his question. I will reiterate - what tasks are you going to be performing that you think could benefit from what are as-yet not fully known features of the next generation?

6. Stollen123

Stollen123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well there are 2 Situations:
    1 . If you need to buy notebook to do your daily jobs and specific work any notebook with intel 8 oder 9. Generation would be just great and more than enough.

2. if you are going to buy notebook just to have the latest and to perform benchmarks and tweaks etc..then you could wait until the intel 10. Generation is out

7. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    This is why we have a sticky, with a very useful template.

We know nothing of your use case, no budget to go by, and comparing against unreleased low voltage processors (to which your link above speaks to) that are speculated to be released until the end of the year.

You also make note "Gaming or Ultrabook" which is basically pointing to both ends of the spectrum.

Basically no information offered on your end and you want us to basically speculate for you about a future unreleased product that also has no tangible information to reference.

k.

8. Aroc

Aroc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Jarhead gave one of the single best pieces of advise in the whole thread. The other equally golden piece of advice is several others asking to you state what your intend to actually use the computer for or what you need for the computer is.

Although hypothetical discussions can be fun, too. Though I have my doubts it will produce actionable advice.

I checked over the "article" and cross-referenced it with your summary.

First, the last generational jump was the 8-series processors, I believe. That was the recent jump where we moved from 4c/8T (where we've been for several generations) to 6c/12T and now 8c/(8-16T) with coffee lake. I didn't see anything mentioned in the article that would obsolete a i7-8700k or a i7-9700k or i9-9900k in a gaming laptop. If anything talking about 15W 4c/8T processors seems like a ho-hum upgrade considering one can buy 8c today. Do these 10-series processor have more IPC (per Ghz) than i7-8700k? Assuming you want some low-power notebook, maybe, but you haven't stated your use case, so I can only debate hypotheticals. I'm not impressed with that's discussed in the article for my needs.

Second, no interest in integrated graphics.

Third, if the current laptops have upgradable wifi, then 2 or 3 antennae 802.11ac (867 mbps or 1300 mbps) is more than fine right now. That's essentially Gbps with a good AP and a good card. The other bit of golden advice which has stood the test of time is to by middle of the road and upgrade as necessary. To me, buying 802.11ac today, then moving to newer standards are things mature and more products ship beyond first-movers, dovetails into that maxim.

Fourth, I can always upgrade to WiFi 6 (802.11ax), when needed. TB3 ports on both sides of the notebook sound like connectivity improvements however to delay a necessary purchase over that depends on the individual and one's specific needs.

Maybe it's me, but to me 8th gen, moving to 6 and 8 cores when we'd been at 4 cores for several generations was the last leap and that was a recent leap. One might revise that to 2c to 4c, if one must only consider low-watt processors.

Maybe consider the excellent, time-tested advice you've already bee given along with stating your needs and use case for the hypothetical laptop that your postponing purchasing, and we can even more hypothetical responses. ;)