Is it normal for IPS displays to have edge backlight leak?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Quicklite, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

Quick query. Do some image editing from time to time.
    Have been working with a few laptops lately (trying to find a unit that's decent), e.g. AW 17 R4, HP ZBook 14, 15, Asus GL502, GL753 - they're all IPS. These units - when you have a pitch black background all seem to have some extent / smaller backlit bleed/leakage next to the display edge / bezel, etc. On normal background, even darker grey - becomes much less visible.

I suppose quality control / courier could impact these. Could I just ask if I'm being too picky, or is this a normal occurrence / something to do with the construction of IPS display that makes them more sensitive to developing backlight leak around the edges / bezels of the display? or have I just had really bad luck? (I've seen good units of these models more often than the leaky ones - though I suppose now I know what to look for / switch on black wallpaper - they're much more visible).

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Backlight bleed is quite common on modern-day laptops - it's not really too big of an issue in most cases.

3. ChanceJackson

ChanceJackson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yup my 4K 3D LG TV has the corner bleed issue but its the only complaint about it I have and it seems to be a luck of the draw kind of thing to get an IPS without that symptom