Is it necessary to repaste CPU and GPU of M18x

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by simbeane, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simbeane

simbeane Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm gonna purchase an M18x with dual hd6990m, I see a lot of people repaste CPU and GPU of M18x. I don't know if it is necessary to repaste the CPU and GPU or not. Is stock thermal paste good enough or should I repaste? to repaste CPU and GPU, it takes plenty of steps such as removing many small screws and components, it's quiet complex. What if we break one of those components in the process of removing them. I know repasting CPU and GPU would cool down the temperature a lot but the process of repasting makes me worry.

2. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    It is not that dangerous as long as you are careful. You can do it yourself, just follow the guides and manuals and don't rush.
    I have done about 20 repasting jobs on M18x laptops up to date and never broke anything in the process. It is fairly safe ;)

3. Xeneize

Xeneize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would hold off and do some heavy loading test on it, checking temperatures and system stability, if it's working well then there should be no reason to do so unless you are going to go nuts with OC....

My 2 cents

4. skygunner27

skygunner27 A Genuine Child of Zion

Reputations:
    good point.

I would do it because the paste that Dell uses is garbage and usually poorly applied.
    The heatsinks are an important part of a PC's operation. I take comfort in knowing that I have the best thermal compound applied properly keeping my most important components cool at idle and at full load.:cool:

5. Xeneize

Xeneize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well actually you are the one making a good point. I guess to rephrase my comments:
    if you know what you are doing, go for it.... otherwise you can end up causing more harm.

6. skygunner27

skygunner27 A Genuine Child of Zion

Reputations:
    sooo very true.

7. 0x29A

0x29A Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Repasting isn't really difficult if you are comfortable with what you are doing. Is it worth it? Well, if you don't want to take the risk, better don't do it. M18x's cooling is quite efficient anyway, so you can live with the factory paste for a year or something and then when it degrades a bit go into repasting.

Repasting will lower your temps by a few degrees, so in the end IMO it's not such a big difference to have 77*C or 73*C on CPU on heavy load. Do you want to risk breaking something for lousy 5 degrees? Decide yourself :D

8. Ajbeagles

Ajbeagles Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Personally i just get a hose and spray it down to cool it off, no need for paste

9. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Awesome advice :D

If the stock paste job was done ok and there's no overheating, then yes.
    For example, we had a couple of systems that were hitting 100C on memory and shaders under load. Repasting slashed the temps to under 80C. It's a case by case analysis, IMHO.

10. simbeane

simbeane Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So what degree is considered as overheating? what degree is a cool temperature?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.