is it a graphics, batter or ac adaptor issue?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by dab89, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Chivalrous Roamin Knight

Chivalrous Roamin Knight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I felt the need to comment on this matter, as again this common issue occurred to me today; I edited from my previous comment as indicated:

.....and <with (Edit)> the AC power plug still not plugged into the laptop's port, <after about 1-3 minutes of the AC power plug not plugged in (Edit)>, start up the laptop on it's battery power; it may very well be even essential for Windows to fully load (it's extremely probable there is a correlation with these power issues and their drivers) <THEN (Edit)> plug the AC power plug into the laptop. Battery charging returned, my display screen brightened, which indicates that AC power was powering the laptop; **VERY ESSENTIAL** <IMMEDIATELY perform a Windows shut down when the battery charging icon displays it's charging BUT BEFORE the white Switch Graphic Card pop-up message displays: The AC adapter currently connected is not supported. System will continue on battery. Press any key to continue. You only have a brief amount of time to do this as the pop up happens maybe 30 seconds, if even that, within the time from plugged in/charging to not charging of the battery icon's status in the task bar. Doing this, it appears, allows the BIOS to maintain detecting the AC power in subsequent start ups; allowing battery charging to continue. <Start up the AW18/M18xR (Edit)> Everything should boot up as normal: No BIOS message about the AC adapter not recognized&the task bar battery icon displaying: plugged in, charging OR hours and minutes to full charge. (I initially thought maybe I left out the important step, indicated by the ** and is the reason for the edited previous comment and this additional comment.) Hope this definitely helps or provides anyone better understanding of this common problem. Cheers!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  2. Chivalrous Roamin Knight

Chivalrous Roamin Knight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Moderator, please delete this comment; I thought there is a delete option but there is not. Thank you

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020