1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Is Google Chrome Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by pacmandelight, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pacmandelight

pacmandelight Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What are your opinions on Google Chrome? Is it as bad as what I have been reading? Anybody use Chrome?

2. Convoluted

Convoluted Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've tried it. It seems pretty decent, although I still prefer Firefox for its many extensions. It would be second choice of browser.

3. JCMS

JCMS Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I love it. At first, coming from IE8, I didn't really like the layout but it grew on me and it's now my first browser. It's kind of unstable on W7 for now though. (gotta run it as administrator and Vista compatibility mode)

4. ttupa

ttupa Tech Elitist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I am currently using it as my default. I switched from Opera. I like the open/close speed, and the browsing speed (but that's more of a wash against O). Tab open/close speed is also good. I enjoy its simple interface, bookmark management features, and new tab page for best features.

Worst features? Customizability limitations is probably it. It runs light and quick and its appearance doesn't get in the way. That's why I've been using it as my default for a couple months.

5. d.rivera08

d.rivera08 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When I first moved to Chrome from Firefox, I fell in love with it. After about a month it just started bugging out on me and went really slow. Since then, I haven't used it. I'd definitely rank it after Firefox... Love'd it when it worked for me.

6. Carrot Muncher

Carrot Muncher Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have chrome as my default browser, I loves it, as said simple clean interface, its fast, just a nice browser to use.

7. rjbg84

rjbg84 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I do have it as my default browser...only thing is that it has become a little buggy, everytime I am looking at some manga over onemanga.com, Chrome just freezes..its been like this for the past few weeks.

8. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I use it for Gmail, since it loads that very fast. For everything else, I use Opera.

9. Jayayess1190

Jayayess1190 Waiting on Intel Skylake

Reputations:
    I use the developer updates of Chrome, and it is my favorite browser along with Firefox. Within the next couple of weeks, Chrome will get add ons!

10. brncao

brncao Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Chrome is fast and efficient on windows xp and vista. The good thing about Chrome is that when one tab hangs, you don't have to close the entire browser, just that defective tab. It's memory efficient as well. The downside is the customizability and addons limitations, but that will change I hope.

11. jackluo923

jackluo923 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It really depends on your preference. Some people prefer Chrome. I prefer internet explorer and dislike firefox.

12. rjbg84

rjbg84 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Now that is good news!!!!

13. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    It is my primary browser, what I dont like is when you close the last tab it closes the browser, and the 9 quick links (speed dial in Opera) is based on user history so for me they keep moving around!

14. brncao

brncao Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I hate Chrome's text highlighter. Whenever I try to highlight some text in the search box in google and my mouse drags outside the box, it inverts the selection and I accidently overwrite the wrong text.

15. McGrady

McGrady Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Chrome is a good browser. I use it for speed browsing with user scripts for adblocker and better gmail 2. Fastest browser out there.

16. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    Good? reminding me the earlier days of Opera - quick and everything in one.

Bad? as time goes on, as Chrome adds more "extensions" to compete against FF, just as Opera try with in-house add-ons, it will become just as buggy, if not already is.

Worse? I personally don't appreciate the datamining of Google.

cheers ...

17. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mime with Tourette's

Reputations:
    Browsers, rated by AKAJohnDoe from top to bottom:

#1: Firefox
    #22 Opera
    #68 IE7
    #205 IE8
    #475 Safari
    #666 Chrome

18. taelrak

taelrak Lost

Reputations:
    Chrome is a decent browser. On average, it's the most secure browser out of the box, although once you start installing add-ons for firefox/minefield (no-script, adblocker plus, etc.), they quickly blow Chrome away.

As was mentioned, Chromium has come a long way from the periodic releases of Chrome, so that's worth checking out if you like the browser. The chromium nightlies also fix several of the sandbox/uac compatibility issues with Windows 7.

Still, without the extendability of minefield, chromium will never become my primary browser. It's still decent for those sites that minefield can't do properly and when you need to use an alternate browser with webkit and don't feel like messing with safari.

The sad thing about Chrome is its lack of full compatibility with even Google's own services (certain labs features, bookmarks, etc.).

On the other hand, if you're like me and are fed up with the clumsy dedicated e-mail clients like thunderbird/shredder and WLM, Chrome doubles as a nice e-mail client for gmail/calendar/reader while you can use minefield for everything else.

19. Matt is Pro

Matt is Pro I'm a PC, so?

Reputations:
    Using now on Vista Home Premium.

Loving it so far. It's very fast and is as stable as any other browser.

Though, it doesn't work well with my University's website. That's where FF3 comes in.

20. Brawn

Brawn The Awesome

Reputations:
    i'm migrating from firefox once chrome gets add-ons

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.