Is Gaming in 960x540 possible? How is the interpolation?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by franzerich, Dec 7, 2017.

1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    I've done that on lower end laptops with 1080p LCD's. No it's not going to be crisp, but it's half the resolution, and obviously improves framerates. I prefer 40-50 FPS at 960x540, over 25-30FPS at 1080p. I've also run at 800x450

JRE84 and franzerich like this.
  2. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nearest neighbor upscaling in drivers is something that would be really useful in this use-case scenario. As well as for 720p on a 1440p display, 1080p on a 4K, 1440p on a 5K, etc. But nobody has implemented it yet after all these years.

franzerich likes this.
  3. franzerich

franzerich Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah... I digged through the internet meanwhile and found a 45 pages thread on Nvidia forums requesting this scaling feature. It's ridiculous that this hasn't been implemented yet. Really really disappointing...

JRE84 likes this.
  4. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I can tell you 720p will still be sharper and look better from experience

5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some of you guys have pretty high tolerance. 900p is the absolute lowest I can stand on a 1080p screen.

6. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Just for your experiment, I booted Crysis with a custom resolution of 960x540, took a screenshot, then set it to 720p, and took a screenshot.

I compared the two, and 540p wasn't even close to the 720p IQ. It's a blurry mess.

don_svetlio likes this.
  7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    When you have a low spec machine and it's between being able to play and not play, it's not that horrible. Yes 960x540 would look awful on a 17" or bigger display. But on smaller displays it's not such a big deal. Like this video I made a few years back to play Tomb Raider on Transformer T100 at 800x450 resolution.

franzerich likes this.
  8. franzerich

franzerich Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Interesting. It seems to suffer more from the low quality effects and blobb textures than from the low resolution. I watched the same scene on low settings in FullHD and it didn't look much better (because the same low quality effects and blobb textures).

9. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Take some screenshots and scale them in an image editor to see for yourself. This might be a matter of personal preference to some degree, but I feel it's safe to say I would go with 720p scaled to 1080p instead of 540p scaled to 1080p every time no matter the scaling algorithm (unless frame rate is really unbearable). Blurred pixels or not, the amount of meaningful information you get from 540p scaled is much lower.

don_svetlio likes this.
  10. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Maths doesn't always equal 1.

Where did you hear that at?

That would depend on the Monitors Native resolution first. Going smaller would make it worse - I seen regular monitor where others switch it down in scaling and all text and display were so blurry like I was blind. So there is a limit that can't be crossed that would make it worse.

And also as you mentioned some hardware might not let you go there either by design or chipset limits. Also some games might also block you from doing that as well.

Downscaling make it worse if it isn't Native Resolution.