Is dell xps 15 worth it?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Pedrorchaa, Jul 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedrorchaa

Pedrorchaa Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey everyone.
    I've been looking for a new notebook for quite some time now and I finally decided to buy the Dell XPS 15 i7 16gb ram and 512GB PCIe Solid State Drive.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-15-9560-laptop

The one thing that is holding me back is that all the Windows notebooks I ever had got slow and laggy after a year or two, and I Always had to restore and remove everything so it could get faster, but it only lasted for another year before I had to do it again.
    I wanted to know how well Dell XPS 15 performs over time?
    I don't have many apps/games at all. My current pc has 1TB and I only use 250gb, and it is still really slow (i tried several methods to improve its performance but nothing Works or lasts for long).

thank you in advance!

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes. The XPS is probably the best 15" notebook you can purchase now for non gaming. The screen, carbon fiber, infinity edge, AWESOME computer. Good choice. I think it's my next computer. I have my 13" inspiron 5000 2 in 1 which I think is a great bargain, but the xps is KILLER!

3. jefflackey

jefflackey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just make sure you read the XPS 15/9560 thread over in the Dell XPS forum.

4. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    They haven't been out for a year so I don't think anyone has that kind of data on this, but I've had mine for a few months now and it's a really nice machine. If you live near a Microcenter, consider buying there -- when I bought mine, it was significantly cheaper there than on Dell's site (and of course you have the laptop immediately without waiting for it to ship).

5. heretofore

heretofore Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Whether or not windows slows down over time, depends on how you use the laptop, especially what you download/install/run.

No way we or Dell can assure it wont slow down, but I will say this,
    windows 10 is a very nice OS compared to windows 7.
    Windows 7 definately tends to "slow down" after long sessions or after many months of use.

I sometimes restart my win10 laptop only once per week (or less), and it runs many different programs.
    Windows 10 handles all that without any problems. No noticeable slow downs at all, especially compared to windows 7. rock-solid stability. My opinion of windows 10 is quite high, in regards to its performance.

I have a cheap HP laptop with GTX 1050, and I will tell you that GTX 1050 can definately run games,
    as long as the graphics settings are set to low-high, instead of ultra.

6. heretofore

Reputations:
    One more thing.
    I would personally choose a high quality display over powerful gpu, any day.
    What's the point in playing games on ultra settings, if the display looks bad?
    As long as you are playing at the display's native resolution, then the image quality should be good regardless of the graphics settings. From my personal experience playing on a 15" display at 1080p, fine graphics details are less noticeable on such a small screen, compared to a large desktop monitor. For example, I find that no AA looks better on a small screen than on a large screen.

7. penguinslider

penguinslider Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Depends on how you use it.

One thing to note is that the XPS15 is a thin and light. While it has the specs to game on it, its not designed to have CPU and GPU to be running at full usage for hours at a time. It is part of a laptop class that has sacrificed cooling ability for portability.

As others have said, windows 10 is nice. Just DONT be that guy that adds 100 tool bars to his browsers, clicks attachments from people saying that you won a million dollars or plays Crysis 3 for hours at a time in a hot room on your XPS 15...thenyou will be fine :)

bestseany likes this.
  8. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I tested this pretty extensively when I first bought mine. Some other people have defective pasting so they have to repaste the CPU and GPU, but the one I have can game just fine with only a CPU undervolt (no hardware mods). If you like modding your laptop, check out the Dell XPS forum where people have managed to get more performance out of it by repasting and padding the VRMs, but unless you get one of the bad paste jobs, the out-of-the-box performance is enough for most games that one would consider running on a 1050. Of course, if you really want to game, the 1050 is probably not the way to go in the first place and you should consider something like an Aero 15.

9. heretofore

Reputations:
    I forgot that not everyone monitors cpu/gpu temps.
    I use afterburner to display various stats (such as temperatures) on-screen during gaming.
    If only afterburner would show VRM temps .....
    someone should send a message to MSI and say, please add VRM temp to afterburner.

I have core i5 Kaby Lake (with undervolt) and GTX 1050 Pascal. cpu temp usually maxes around 80C and gpu max temp is usually mid-upper 70C's. I was surprised to see gpu runs cooler than cpu.

10. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    I actually often found this to be the case on my gaming laptops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.