Is buying an used and pin-modded P870KM1-G a good idea?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Gonzberg, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Gonzberg

Gonzberg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello community,

I am seeking for help 'cause I am considering buying a used P870KM1-G (GTX1080) with carried out Coffee-Lake mod.
    In addition, the seller flipped the panel to a 144Hz g-sync FullHD one and it comes with a delidded and isolated 8700K aswell.
    Its about 2 years old and has, according to the crystaldisk screen, an operating time of round about 250 hours.
    Price would be around 1400€, whats still alot of money, especially with no warranty left, but i know, that the specs are awesome.

So in particular im very interessted in 'long time' experiences according to this pin mod. I read about a higher powerdraw from the 6core CPUs, that maybe could affect the mainboard components which are made for 4core CPUs.
    Do you think, that the estimated lifetime of such a machine could differ from a non-modded one?
    Any other tips or what i should check for? Ive seen a lot of benches and temperatures, all values look fine.

Would you recommend this buy?

thanks in advance and sorry for my language,

Gonzberg

tps3443 likes this.
  2. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I’d say go for it. That is a powerful machine. And you could always swap it to a TM1 motherboard in the future for really cheap if need be. You have all of the basic components already. You can also undervolt that 8700K and pull very low power under a 100% load. The 144Hz panel is a nice option, and the cooling in these P870’s is really good so they still fetch a premium price.

Seems like a decent deal to me. But I do think $1,200 would be more reasonable on something like that. But really, it has very modern components and will run anything at its 1080P/144Hz resolution.

if it runs good then go for it!

3. Gonzberg

Reputations:
    Thanks for your response and evaluation!
    The price is fixed, so I can take it or leave it.
    My main consideration ist about buying this used machine or a brand new N970TF with RTX2070 and a 8700 which ist roughly the same price, but it is lacking the gsync panel.

Could you explain to me what this TM1 thing ist about?

Thanks very much!

4. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The TM1 is pretty much the newest P870.

The P870TM1 Z370 chipset laptop.

Companies sell these barebones on ebay, that is pretty much a gutted out P870TM1. No cpu, no lcd panel, no keyboard etc. etc. Then you could move all of your components over.

But, obviously only if something happen to yours.

If that laptop is working fine, then go for it! People run 9900K processors in them without issues. So i’m sure the 8700K will be just fine.

5. Gonzberg

Reputations:
    Well thanks for your explanation, but a new TM1 barebone would cost like 1250€ inkl. shipping so this would be a write-off if anything happens to it. But thats why iam asking about long time quality.
    On the other hand, beside one broken RAM module I experienced never any hardware malfunction during the last estimated 20 years.
    Would the N970TF with 8700@65W and a 2070 be an alternative for the same price or ist the P870M1 superior in all respects?

6. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The P870 will be the faster laptop. Faster CPU, and faster GPU especially for 1080P gaming. And both of these components would run very cool too inside the P870 chassis. The N970TF is a great option too though, and I am pretty sure you could drop in a i9 9900 non K 65TDP CPU in there as a future upgrade option.

This is really oranges and apples though.

The P870 is fully upgradeable, with a removeable desktop CPU, and desktop power equivalent 200 watt GTX1080 MXM.

The N970 is a lighter, thinner chassis limited to 65 watt desktop processors, and it has a soldered embedded RTX2070.

The P870 will be faster obviously. And it has room for future tinkering and or growth. A member on here installed a 9900K and a RTX2080 inside of his P870KM1.

I would say buy the N970TF if you are going to be carrying the machine around frequently.

Tough choice. I wouldn’t worry about hardware failing. That is extremely uncommon I think.

I own a Clevo P750TM1 8086K with GTX1080 144HZ 1080P gsync panel. it has been extremely reliable! I am constantly tinkering on it or tweaking performance. it is practically a desktop to me. The GtX1080 is still blazing fast, and outperforms a lot of the RTX2080 options or matches their performance. I can upgrade my GPU or CPU if I want to in the future. I am happy with it so far. It is the smallest of the Clevo laptops with removeable MXM video cards and desktop class processors.

7. Gonzberg

Reputations:
    Cool, you seem pretty convinced by this machine, good to hear!
    Iam looking for desktop replacement as well, for mobile purposes I own a N957TP6.
    Sold my desktop when my son was born in 2017 and bought a Acer Predator 17 with 6700hq and 1070, but I sold it a week ago and want to have somehting more powerfull.

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    What could get new for that money in your area GPU wise?

9. Gonzberg

Reputations:
    As I said for the same money of the used 870KM with 8700K I can get a new N970 with 8700 and rtx 2070.

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    So gaming will be similar, it comes down to weight, warranty and modding potential.