Is build quality worth money?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Deks, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Huh...
    Either there's something wrong with the forums, or the OP forgot to input the text into the original post.
    Or there's another issue at play.

The question on which the thread is based on though is relatively self-evident though.

Is build quality worth the money?
    Depends really.
    Build quality is highly subjective and varies throughout the 'brands' as we understand them.
    To that end, even no-name brands can have very high build quality and last a bit longer but cost next to nothing compared to some well known brand names.

Acer for example has usually been (in the past) associated with lower quality, and supposedly this has changed over the past 4 years or so. Experiences in this regard differ (as is expected).
    I have an Acer laptop (in my sig) for 3 and a half years now and it is pretty good (minus a minor/rare issue with the video cable that's corrected by closing/opening the lid or juggling the video cable a bit).

To that end, I also have a DELL laptop which works since 2006 (it fell on the floor twice hard which broke the old HDD and probably the backlight so I had to replace both, and other than that, the thing works).

If you have the money, then paying more for build quality could I guess be beneficial if you expect to be handling the laptop relatively poorly (though I had my share of 'accidents' without any faults happening, so ... again, its all relative).

I would get a laptop from a relatively reputable company that doesn't cost much, or if its a 'no-name' one, then try to find decent reviews of the laptop you are getting from them and base your conclusions on an informed decision

2. Botsu

Botsu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's kind of hard to define build quality. There are many components :

1/ Risk of a component failure over the standard period of use : mostly based on the performance of the cooling system and a luck factor imho as the manufacturers usually use the same suppliers for components as motherboards, RAM, CPU, GPU...

2/ Risk of software generated bugs : dependent on the manufacturer.

3/ Case reliability, display quality, thickness, weight => actual elements of differenciation

Some are subjective, others are not (up to a certain point). Also tradeoffs are often involved. I don't quite see the point you're trying to make.

Build quality has a value and as such everyone is able to put a price on it, given the subjective elements and the relative uncertainty people will sometimes come to regret their decision when they're able to do a better estimation of the real value of the build quality of their recent purchase... but then it's one of the many reasons why NBR exists, so people can benefit from other members' feedback and experience and make better decisions.

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Build quality is worth money; ie look at ThinkPads, ToughBooks, Macbook Pro's, Alienwares, Precisions, Elitebook mobile workstation, any business oriented laptop.

4. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    ^That. x100

Good build quality is paramount to me. Almost of equal importance is component selection... but without a quality/well built case, what good are the components?!

5. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    IMO, after using a few MBP and Alienwares, I wouldn't put them in the same category as any of the other notebooks. But I definitely agree that build quality is worth the cost.

6. NotEnoughMinerals

NotEnoughMinerals Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, to me build quality is worth money. How much is subjective to each user's needs. A lot of people like to poo poo companies like Acer/Asus/MSI that have had their moments of subpar material choices but perhaps we all just need to come to grips is that those choices may have been made to serve a different market.

There are the enthusiasts who just want the most performance for their dollar, the enthusiasts who want a lot of performance but also a solid construction that they know can take a bit of a beating, the enthusiasts who need their laptops to meet certain visual aethestics, and of course everything in between.

Every tiny little bit that makes a laptop more desirable to a person is worth money.

7. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Build quality is important but it's not much without performance. Otherwise you could just purchase a Toughbook (does Panasonic still make those?) and surf the web.

8. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Well I don't think that is the case. Okay we have a 379 Acer with a SB i3, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD, IGP. But a E6520 with those same specs is like 700 bucks, why? Build quality and the 3 year warranty. The Acer has a cheap pos plastic chassis, any kind of trauma and it will literally fall apart. Ever seen a Latitude fall apart minus extreme trauma?

TBH, the specs isn't everything. If you replaced the average Joe's Core i7 laptop with a Core 2 Duo, they probably won't notice the difference, so thus I think build quality is more important than specs.

9. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I do think build quality is worth the money but let's say someone buys a gaming rig and then all they do is watch video and surf the net and youtube. That to me is a waste of money and all it did was nothing substantial for their computing needs. All that did was say hey look what I can buy and use and that to me was hey look how clueless the purchase was. Now if one does alot of gaming hardcore and CAD and Video/Music production where alot of juice is needed on demand this would qualify for a power rig to do the job and get it done. But then one sacrifices portability for weight which can be a downright heavy weight lifter for some power rigs. But I do have Gaming Rig desktop for high power games just I don't game as much as I used to do but that I can always go back to it when I need to break some everyday stress....

10. Rishwin

Rishwin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't understand... How is any of that relevant? How does the build quality of a laptop relate to someone buying a gaming laptop and only using it to browse the web?

Let me make it quite clear - build quality has absolutely nothing to do with the specifications or performance of a machine.

How well it is made, how sturdy it feels, what materials it is made out of, how much you can knock it around before something breaks... THAT is build quality, and if you're expecting your device to last more than 1 year then yes i think it is absolutely paramount.

Alienware has great build quality, especially the M11x's due to their small form which makes everything close and tight, plus the magnesium chassis and bottom covers keep everything rigid. Definitely worth the price, especially for the in-home warranty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.