Is AMD A4-9125 good enough

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Faber, Jul 25, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faber

Faber Newbie

Reputations:
    I am looking for at new laptop for my wife.

She saw and liked the HP 14-cf0000no, which costs 5.000 DKK, but would prefer something a bit cheaper. We found the HP 14-cm0004no at 3.500 DKK, which seems like almost the same machine, except that it has a AMD A4-9125 instead of an i5-8250U.

She currently has a 7 year old Dell with an i3-2330M that works perfect for her needs, except that it is a bit worn and she would like something a bit smaller.

I initially thought that even the slowest 2018 CPU would be faster than her 2011 CPU, but according to userbenchmarks.com, the A4-9120 (which is almost the same as the A4-9125) is actually somewhat slower.

So my question is: is the A4-9125 good enough for web-browsing, light photo-editing, Microsoft Word etc. or is it worth it to pay 40% extra to get the i5-8250U?

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    3500-5000 DKK (500€-700€)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    Denmark

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: HP, Lenovo
    b. Dislike:
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Browsing, light photo-editing, blog-writing, Microsoft Word.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Taking it to different places, including travel.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    No.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Preferable at least 10.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Would prefer seeing it, but not necessary.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080p

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Prefer matte.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Somewhat.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    At least 128GB.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Very soon.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    3-4 years.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Not important. Not primary laptop.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    No.

2. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the i5-8250U is a way better CPU, four cores/eight threads, can't even compare....so probably best to have some future proofing with your purchase.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  3. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do not, and I repeat, do not get the laptop with the A4 9125. That chip is slower than the processors in most phones. The i5 8250U is a great chip and will power through anything you throw at it with ease unlike the AMD CPU which will cause severe lagging when doing something as simple as loading a webpage. You might also want to take a look at the Lenovo Ideapad 530s or the Lenovo Ideapad 720s 13": https://www.lenovo.com/dk/da/laptop...20S-13-Intel/p/88IP70S0893?menu-id=720s_(13")

Starlight5, 9ac3 and Mastermind5200 like this.
  4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Honestly go on hwt.dk or hol.dk and look there for a notebook, people there sell close to new notebooks for cheap.

You'll find way better deals there than puchasing a new notebook.

Hell, there is currently a macbook for sale, which you could grab for her. You can possibly haggle the guy down to ~4.500 - 5.000 kr.

Starlight5 likes this.
  5. Mr.K-1994

Mr.K-1994 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    no No NO!!!!
    That chip sucks!The 2th gen core i5 in the old laptop can kicks its ass easily.
    Maybe it will prevail in the graphics department,but since you are not gaming at all,...
    Just get a laptop with an Core M or 8th gen i3 with 2c/4t and focus on RAM and SSD instead.
    I saw the Surface Go selling for pretty cheap,around the same price point you re looking for.
    P/s: HP sucks.Don't ever thinking about buying or using one. Horrible built quality,terrible support and performance.

9ac3 likes this.
  6. OverTallman

OverTallman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This may be true for its consumer class products, for business class stuff not so much. EliteBooks, ProBooks and their Elite desktops are quite solid, speaking from my hands-on experience with several business laptops that I have/had.

Back on topic, why are you even considering a dual core AMD A-series laptop? At that price that's an absolute scam! You can easily get a dual core Intel i3/i5 laptop (which is much faster than a 2c A-series) for $500, hell you may even find a refurbished/open box laptop with an i5-8250U (which has 4 cores). As much as I like AMD this isn't one of their great creations.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Mr.K-1994, 9ac3 and Starlight5 like this.
  7. Mr.K-1994

Mr.K-1994 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yea I have only had used some of their lower end laptops and it may have lead to my conclusion about HP.
    Recently I have looked at HP for a new gaming/studying laptop but I didn't find anything appeal,so I ended up with an Acer instead.
    HP has got a lot of things to improve with their HW.

OverTallman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.