Is a NVME Enclosure Required For Cloning?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Drew1, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I will be cloning my 2.5 inch samsung ssd that is in my dell xps 15 9550 into a new 1tb samsung 970 evo NVME ssd. I decided I will buy that ssd as oppose to the sk hynix. I know samsung has that migration software which works great for cloning. So i will use that as oppose to macrieum reflect.

Now can anyone here confirm... I need to buy this NVME enclosure to do the cloning ? Since im cloning from a 2.5 inch samsung sata to a new NVME drive... i assume i need this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MNFH1PX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?smid=A41S1C1L96T2O&psc=1

I assume if you were to open up the laptop, take out the 32gb m.2 ssd that is already inside it... then put this one in...then close your laptop... then you don't need it and can clone it like that with the samsung migration software?

My plan is this... clone it myself with samsung migration software. Then once its cloned... i bring the nvme ssd, my new laptop battery, and new ram and bring it to repair shop and they will basically open up my laptop and take out the old parts and put in the new parts. I do not want them to do the cloning for me.

So can anyone here confirm I need to buy the nvme enclosure for this process? I assume i should in my case since i don't want to open my up laptop... as this would work if i take out the 32gb m.2 nvme already inside and put this in right? Thus if someone was tech savy, they would not need to buy the enclosure?

But with this... all i have to do is put the nvme ssd in this enclosure, plug it into the usb port... then clone and wait and thats all right? But someone tech savy wouldn't need to buy this as putting it inside the laptop and can do this clone process with taking the 32gb m.2 nvme out right?

I do have a 2.5 inch ssd enclosure if that matters. But i still need to buy the nvme enclosure right?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2020
  2. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The enclosure may be irrelevant.

Now, I'm not 100% certain, but IIRC, if you plug in any kind of drive (Samsung) or regardless just through a USB connection, Magician will not see that drive as a Samsung drive. I'm pretty sure I tried this with a 2.5" Samsung 860 I originally had used in a USB enclosure (USB 3.0 with type A connector). I think for it to be recognized within Magician, it has to be installed in a SATA slot, maybe e-SATA port (not sure about that one), or an NVMe slot. But I didn't have a USB-Type C enclosure, but not sure that has any affect.

But all this does is stop you from using Magician, and there are other cloning options available. @Spartan@HIDevolution, can you fill in a little bit about cloning and Macrium? Does it work with USB / Flash drives as mentioned in the OP?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  3. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

In another forum, they said the nvme enclosure is not needed... said i could open my laptop, remove the current 32gb m.2 ssd in it with the 1tb nvme samsung one and then power it on and then clone. They did said if you had the nvme enclosure, its easier since you can just connect it like a usb and don't need the remove the 32gb m.2 ssd inside to clone it. But of course, you still need to open the laptop no matter what when you put the 1tb samsung nvme in anyways.

Okay i did not know about that with the magician. If that is the case, then if i want to use magician, then the nvme is then useless?

Well i wanted to buy the 1tb samsung nvme ssd because its the most popular ssd out there and b/c i heard so many good things about the cloning software. I heard macrium is very good as well but in amazon reviews, i read magician is real good, so thats why i want to go with simplest one.

But its correct i dont need the nvme enclosure then right?

Unless i want it to be more simple?

jclausius likes this.
  4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I stopped using Samsung drives because they all overheat and thermal throttle no matter what thermal pads you put on them, they are only nice for synthetic benchmarks not great for long term and sustained performance and very annoying that they won't detect your drive if it's in an enclosure of even if the BIOS is set in RAID mode whether or not they are in a RAID Array unlike Western Digital, Crucial, and SanDisk which are fully supported in RAID. Now, with that out of the way, let me boot into my Macrium Reflect Boot disk and see if will detect my Samsung T5 Portable SSD which is connected via the Thunderbolt/USB Type-C Port.

BRB [​IMG]

Edit: Yes it does detect the external SSD connected via the Thunderbolt/USB Type-C port

PXL_20201001_150746303.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  5. jclausius

Reputations:
    My question is what is on the OLD drive you take out? Is it possibly your system disk? If it is, and you take it out to replace it with a new / empty SSD, your computer wouldn't even boot. My previous post assumes this is the case, and why I mentioned Macrium.

Now, I can safely say I've never used the cloning within Magician, just benching, and to check for firmware updates. When I had an 860 drive in the enclosure Magician did not recognize it as a Samsung drive, and I couldn't update the firmware.

I guess you could try a quick check with any kind of USB flash drive that connects the same manner as the enclosure. If Magician sees it and lets you choose it, then the enclosure might work.

6. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Feel free to PM if you need help with this, I can help you over Skype step by step as long as you have the tools (ie. the SSD Enclosure) and I highly recommend getting one of these super fast drives to create the Macrium Reflect Rescue Disk which can also contain the image on a separate partition: Patriot Supersonic Rage Elite FTW

7. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I am close to 100% the 32gb m.2 in the system right now only has music in it and nothing else. There is no windows or boot drive in it... im positive of this since last time i saw it was 29.8gb free of 29.8gb before i put any music in. If it had some windows boot... shouldn't it at least use a bit of gb?

The 2.5 inch 250gb samsung ssd has everything in it.

So you suggest not using a nvme enclosure since doing that won't even recognize it using the enclosure right? And just take out the 32 gb m.2 and put the new 1tb nvme in?

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Have replied on this before.... http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-17-owners-lounge.833204/page-44#post-11047232

Not all encounter same problems a s y00 brother.
    Read the guideline (limitations) from Samsung.... https://s3.ap-northeast-2.amazonaws...ration_User_Manual_English_US_revision_v4.pdf

Buy that nvme enclosure and use it as a spare/backup or storage ssd. Should be recognized with the right connection. I't a reason they sell them for etc backup.

9. jclausius

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, you haven't listed what drive is used for what purpose in your laptop. Do you know if the drive that your laptop boots to is the 32GB drive or the 250GB drive?

If you don't know, but would like to, first identify your system's boot drive (assuming not dual booting the computer). From a command prompt, type in and run, "echo %SYSTEMDRIVE%". Remember the output from the command prompt.

Next, use Windows Disk Management Tool to examine where that is located on your laptop. After hitting the Windows Key -> type in "compmgmt.msc" and <Enter> Go to Storage -> Disk Management. In the middle on the lower portion, it will list all drives. Find your boot drive letter from the previous step, and look at what drive it exists on.

This will let you know which drive can be removed.

In regards to using Magician for cloning, it was good @Papusan linked in the Samsung Magician user manual. Under the "Limitations" section, I think #16 is important to investigate.

Papusan likes this.
  10. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I am positive that my laptop boots with the 2.5 inch 250gb drive. That 32gb only has music... nothing else.