1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Is a 1366x768 res really that bad?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Circinus, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Circinus

Circinus Notebook Guru

I was originally going to buy the Dv6z select edition series, but then the Envy 14 popped up.

Mainly because of how amazing the screen is. I know it's more expensive then the DV6zse, but is the latters 1366 x 768 screen really so unappealing?

This will be the true deciding factor. Besides screen size, the Dv6zse has everything I could get in the Envy 14.

2. damian5000

damian5000 Notebook Evangelist

There's nothing wrong with 1366x768 on a 14". I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied..... but 1600x900 on a 14" screen will look great.

3. AboutThreeFitty

AboutThreeFitty ~350

Depends on what you do/ your exceptions of the screen. For daily use, 1366x768 is just fine but if you are into photo and video editing you can feel very restricted. I'm sure most people would agree, more pixels the better, but 1366x768 isn't horrific.

4. Circinus

Circinus Notebook Guru

The DV6zse is a 15.6"...does that change anything?

I'm partly into gaming, so my AMD core is on par with a high end i5, and I have a 1GB ATI mobility raedon graphics card, but will a 1366 x 768 res bother me?

Edit: Didn't see the post before this one, thanks.

5. damian5000

damian5000 Notebook Evangelist

The DV6zse is the one with 1366x768? Yes, it changes things. I still don't think the 1366x768 on the 15.6 will look bad so to speak. Watching movies and such may look better because more screen space. I would guess you'd be satisfied just fine. Bigger screen, but the resolution is stretched further over it.

It's the opposite with the Envy 14. Even though smaller screen, with the higher resolution it will look very nice and give you more 'space' for multiple applications on the screen at one time.

6. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

What size screen and resolution are you using now?

I have 1366x768 on my 13.3" notebook. For every use such as web surfing and some office productivity I agree it is fine, but for photo editing it is near-useless. Using two normal windows side-by-side is basically impossible. In Microsoft Word you can only see half of a page so for longer documents and anything involving Excel, all the scrolling can get tiring.

Check out the Sager NP5125; it offers a 1920x1080 resolution for under $1,000, which will greatly enhance productivity:
    custom gaming laptops - Welcome to Sager Notebooks

7. Circinus

Circinus Notebook Guru

I currently use a 1440 x 900 res on a 19 inch monitor. Also, I can't buy a laptop branded with a 'gaming' label, my parents wouldn't like it.

8. dvtran93

dvtran93 Notebook Evangelist

It's made by a company that makes gaming products. It doesn't mean all of their products are gaming-related.

9. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

The NP5125 is not made for gaming (though it certainly can be used for that). As noted, while Sager is known for their gaming laptops, they also make mainstream models.

10. slumdog

slumdog Notebook Enthusiast

sager ship to canada?

11. Sir Punk

Sir Punk Notebook Deity

i hate the 16:9 hype for laptops. reading documents and long web pages is a pain in the , not to talk about excel and word

12. Circinus

Circinus Notebook Guru

Thanks, I'll look into the Sager.

Edit:Any specs on their battery life?

13. Circinus

Circinus Notebook Guru

Sorry for the double post, but is their anything better than the Sager NP5125? It looks pretty bland, and I'm not too sure on their battery life.

14. isavetheday

isavetheday Notebook Consultant

For a 15", Optimus or ATI Switchable graphics is the best battery life your going to get without completely losing gaming potential. This sager should be able to easily get 4 hours of battery life on its integrated gpu without too much trouble. Pretty much the Sager will have roughly the same battery life as the Envy 14. But the 330m is decently weaker then the 5650m.

15. Amnesiac

Amnesiac 404

To answer your question - yes, 1366 x 768 really is that bad. It is absolutely horrible.

16. URPradhan

URPradhan Notebook Deity

Not only video editing, if you will use your laptop for work (for which it has invented) then you will have a very difficult time with 1366x768 resolution. Even with normal web surfing and word processing this resolution will not satisfy you. You have to use the scrollbars frequently :(

For ex, if you will open Visual Studio for work, then most of your screen will be occupied by application titlebar, statusbar, toolbars, etc ... and you will be left with a minimal actual coding window :(

In my home I'm using a 17" monitor and at work I have been given a 15" one and I'm having a terrible time to work with it :(

I wish every manufactures MUST give option for users to choose one resolution for their needs. 1366x768 is suitable for GAMING only.

17. miahsoul

miahsoul Notebook Deity

720p shouldn't bad on a 15 inch unless your doing editing and stuff. My 1080p is kinda overkill and the text is really small.

18. URPradhan

URPradhan Notebook Deity

Change the DPI settings for bigger text. I was talking about the vertical space of the 1366x768 resolution which is toooooo less for work.

19. thundernet

thundernet Notebook Deity

I wouldn't buy anything but 720p because I value my eyes too much.Take that into account too when you make your desicion.

20. jandg

jandg Notebook Enthusiast

Reading small text isn't bad for your eyes. Only if you need glasses and you refuse to wear them. ;)
    What really matters for your eyes is using a matte screen in stead of a glossy one.

Back on topic. I think that 1366 x 768 is really bad, because you see to much the square form of the pixels and there is no space on the desktop to do more than one thing at the time.
    It's like having the possibilities of an I-phone on a 10x bigger computer screen with worse viewing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.