is 1440p too much for a 17" screen?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Rangoon, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Rangoon

Rangoon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm reading that 1440p is EOL (at least for laptops?). All of my screens for my desktop at home are 1440p and I love the resolution at 27" and for Ultrawide. I'm probably going to end up with a 1080p 17.3" in the very near future, but wondering if I'd be happier with the 1440p while they can still be had. I have used a Surface Pro 2, which initially came with major scaling set by default. I was much happier once I put it back to 1:1 1080p. Granted, everything is very small on that little screen, but I have never had a problem with it. The taskbar is tiny, text is tiny, everything is tiny. What I like is more real estate and of course better res for "gaming" (lol).

I'm going with 2070 or 2080 on the 17" laptop, so should be able to drive 1440p just fine. But I worry that everything will be even smaller by comparison than my Surface at 1080. But maybe it would be similar? Are those of you with 17" QHD happy with the experience? Or is there a good reason why it's EOL and it's just not a good choice for that size screen?

2. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    IMO, 1080P is the perfect resolution for a 17 inch laptop to be able to see everything crystal clear at the native resolution without having to resort to DPI scaling which works on some apps but others which don't support DPI scaling might either appear blurry or have misaligned buttons/text.

I've had a 1440P screen on my previous Clevo P870DM3 and it was readable, but not very comfortable, things were too tiny for my liking though. 4K = FORGET IT, that's just plain dumb as you won't be able to see anything without doing a 200%++ DPI scaling.

So to answer your question, 1440P is doable if you have really good eye sight. Would I do it? Never again after having had owned one, it's just too much effort to be staring at tiny text for prolonged periods of time.

B0B, Rangoon and DaMafiaGamer like this.
  3. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I strongly agree, but the reason I upgraded my p870dmg to 4K was because the 100% adobe rbg panel is a must for me. Although I have the scale set to 250% things look much sharper, fonts look nicer and video/games look pleasing to the eye. I would take a 4K 100% adobe rgb panel over 1080p 144hz to be honest.

Rangoon and Ultra Male like this.
  4. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I understand, that's the beauty of the PC industry, we have different options for everyone. Like you value color accuracy, I value high refresh rates :D

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  5. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Exactly, it’s a shame some companies whitelist even laptop displays *alienware:mad:* and even Clevo!!

Ultra Male likes this.
  6. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I personally like very high resolution displays. I'm quite comfortable with my 4K 17" display (ThinkPad P70). I do need fonts a little bigger than on my previous Dell M6500 with a 17" 1920x1200 display; for terminal and editor windows I use a 9x15 bitmap font vs. the 6x10 on the M6500, which gives me substantially more text-on-screen. And I like the wide gamut on the 4K. I would have no use for a refresh rate much over 60 Hz; it's not like the bad old CRT days when high refresh rates were needed to avoid flicker.

I essentially don't use Windows at all, but for what I do with it (keep it up to date and nothing more) I have the scaling set to 175%.

Rangoon and DaMafiaGamer like this.
  7. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    4K is the future for laptop hopefully. I’m just waiting for the time when we have 4K 144hz panels in laptops!

Rangoon likes this.
  8. BlameTheEx

BlameTheEx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    There is an argument that 1440p is the sort of compromise that leaves no one happy.
    Got a 4k that I'm fixing. Got it in 1080p mode which works well a it's a strait treat 4 pixels as 1.
    Do the same thing on a 1440p and your left with a 720p which is way not cool.

My take is 4k is the future but 1080p might be a very long present. Too much software ain't ready.

Rangoon likes this.
  9. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Reputations:
    If you didn't have any problem with Surface Pro 2 @ 100% scaling, you''ll likely be much happier with WQHD on a much larger 17" laptop, than FHD. 4K will probably require some scaling anyway, while on WQHD you might get away with 100%.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Rangoon likes this.
  10. Rangoon

Rangoon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I compared screen size and resolution between Surface Pro 2 at 1080p and a 17.3" 16:9 at 1440p. The dot pitch of 1440p 17.3" is actually larger. So it makes sense that, if I don't mind the Surface at 100% scaling, a laptop configured this way should only be a step easier to read plus much more real estate. Now I'm leaning toward the 1440p.

Starlight5 likes this.