IPS screen on Macbook Pro 13"?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by k2001, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimmy-floyd

jimmy-floyd Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is it really so? IPS on iMacs?

2. crazycanuk

crazycanuk Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    yes IPS screens can be found in iMacs

as for laptops as mentioned you can get IPS screens in some workstation laptops. Wife has an 8740W with a 30 bit IPS screen in it with 150% adobe gamut, and 178 degree viewing angles. 8540W has it as an option as well.

as mentioned very FEW laptops actually have anything other than a TN screen.

3. vartaxe

vartaxe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    would be nice to make some kind of list of laptops with IPS screens... i hope next pass in apple is add touchscreen in imac and ips on macbook pro :D
    better than that only a macbook pro "tablet" edition = IPS + TOUCHSCREEN + iOS in dual boot and maybe more stuff like gps+ a 3g simcard slot for internet :) let's call it the macbook touch:D

4. Akari

Akari Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They tend to stretch the truth a lot at Apple stores. I've been told everything from the processor is a quad core to the RAM being 1600MHz.

But no, the Macbook Pros are not IPS. This doesn't *really* matter though, if you're into photo editing. TN panels are mostly horrible because if you're looking directly in the middle the edges start to wash out, but on a 13" screen that rarely happens. The one thing you do have to do is constantly be aware of your positioning of the screen and tilt it so you're not looking at it from an angle.

AFAIK HP's 8740W elitebook is the only laptop with a real IPS screen. This is an expensive laptop (although cheaper than the MBP 17) and only available 17".

If you are going to be doing any serious photo editing your best option is to buy an external IPS monitor with it also, which can be fairly cheap now-a-days! For example, the 23 inch IPS Dell U2311H is only $280!

5. crazycanuk

crazycanuk Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    8540w is a 15" with the DC2 option as well

Very true but it irritates photographers and graphic pros on the move greatly having to pack an external to trade shows, site photo shoots etc.

6. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The HPs 8540w and 8740w DreamColor 2s, the X201t and I believe the Fujtisu T900 uses a S-PVA panel, which is a close cousin to IPS/AFFS with better contrast, but more limited viewing angles. That's the list as far as I know. I really hope Apple puts IPS screens in the MBPs as it will put much more pressure on Lenovo to offer them on ThinkPads, which I'm more interested in.

7. skagen

skagen Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In all fairness to the Sony Z it has nothing to do with the MacBook pro, given that it weights 3 pounds flat and the base models have 1600x900 resolution and at least core i5 520 CPU. It is by no means an apples-to-apples comparison, no pun intended.

I wouldnt expect to see an IPS panel on the Sony Z, but I have a feeling Apple might do it. Unlike the PC makes, Sony included, Apple has good economies of scale with a lean model lineup and solid discipline in keeping each model going for a few years before doing major structuural overhauls. Most of all they are able to command high retail prices and they have good sales margins. So Apple are well positioned to be able to order a lot of units of an IPS screen and to committ to orders over a multiyear period.

They just might do it, to add further differentiation to their product line. I wouldnt be surprised. Especially now that they have the ball rolling with heavy volume of the IPS screens on their tablets already.

As for Lenovo, dont hold your breath on IPS. Apple going IPS on the MBP line will not make Lenovo even flinch. I mean as it is Apple has probably the best screens of any maker on their MPB line and Lenovos response has consistently been to go trawling for bottom of the barrel screens, often worse in quality - objectively measured - that what is offered on netbooks. With that type of mentality, Apple upping the game on IPS screens will not even make Lenovo bat an eye.

8. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    There was a thread a few pages back in the What Notebook Should I Buy forum listing non-TN panel notebooks.

9. pcunite

pcunite Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Don't be so sure. There are a lot of us who will publicly shame Lenovo and their ThinkPad brand if they don't.

10. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    There are several users here that agree with you but the facts are that Lenovo already admitted that they don't believe IPS will be in any of their models for the time being since it wasn't profitable enough. Things might change in the future but I doubt so in the next year or two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.