iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR announced

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Raidriar, Sep 12, 2018 at 5:16 PM.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Exactly, you have to be motionless for so long before it calls automatically.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  2. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Kind of interesting. Pre-ordering each generation of iPhone has been an experience in and of itself. From AT&T's servers being hung up, to Apple opening the door minutes before the opening bell, to even insufficient server capacity. Activating the new phone has also had its trials and tribulations. My iPhone 3Gs couldn't be activated for 3 days because of the demand on Apple's activation servers.

Last night, at 3:01 am EDT, I had no problem pre-ordering. Was as though nobody else was in line waiting. This afternoon, I checked that shipping dates had slipped from 9/21 to 1 - 2 weeks. Far better than the 8 - 10 weeks we had seen last year.

Be interesting to see if this is a trend of a saturated smartphone market. Did Apple lose potential customers because of the lack of revolutionary new features?

hmscott likes this.
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You hit the nail on the head. Consumers are becoming wise to Apple. Lack of features and charge for the image. A mid range android phone will beat the brand new iPhones in features, keep up performance wise and be several hundreds less. The time has come for Apple. They are seeing the mainstream consumer go **** this, you are ripping me off. I got an awesome deal on our iPhone 8s and watch 3s through my wife’s employer. If it weren’t for that I would be using a lg q stylo plus.

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The 7 most egregious fibs Apple told about the iPhone XS camera
    Devin Coldewey@techcrunch / 2 days ago
    https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/12/t...-apple-told-about-the-iphone-xs-camera-today/

"Apple always drops a few whoppers at its events, and theiPhone XS announcement today was no exception. And nowhere were they more blatant than in the introduction of the devices’ “new” camera features. No one doubts that iPhones take great pictures, so why bother lying about it? My guess is they can’t help themselves.

To be clear, I have no doubt they made some great updates to make a good camera better. But whatever those improvements are, they were overshadowed today by the breathless hype that was frequently questionable and occasionally just plain wrong. Now, to fill this article out I had to get a bit pedantic, but honestly, some of these are pretty egregious..."

New iPhones courageously ditches the free headphone dongle
    Lucas Matney@lucasmtny / 2 days ago
    https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/12/new-iphones-courageously-ditch-including-a-free-headphone-dongle/

How expensive is the most expensive iPhone XS around the world?
    The trend of gouging wallets continues
    By Cameron Faulkner@camfaulkner Sep 13, 2018, 1:06pm EDT
    https://www.theverge.com/tech/2018/...mparison-apple-uk-us-india-japan-china-russia
    iphone xs pricing.JPG

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 11:18 PM
    kojack, Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  5. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    Some women are complaining that the iphones are getting too big for their smaller hands especially with the new 6.4" version. :D

hmscott likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Maybe the new iphones can be used for something else. For example, whacking someone's head off instead of reaching for your shoes.

hmscott likes this.
  7. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nah, they would bend to easy.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The new steel cases are supposed to be anti-bend materials... the Xs / XsMax at least, the Xr is made out of the bendy aluminum.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 6:53 AM
    Vasudev likes this.
  9. Convel

Convel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I like how the mispronunciation of the iPhone Xs, which a lot of people undoubtedly will use, is the iPhone Excess. Rather fitting name, though Apple's not exactly alone in pricing their phones higher than previous generations. Interesting SoC and Apple Watch though. The OLED displays and cameras will surely be nice too.

10. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations: