Invisibleshield available for Studio XPS 16

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by speedline, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlepse

wlepse Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Zagg is now offering 50% off using code memday09 good till May 27th from what I read.

2. Odibil

Odibil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What a great deal for Memorial Day.

I'd really like to pull the trigger on an invisibleSHIELD, but I'm still a little worried about how it changes the aesthetic of the laptop. I can definitely live without the high glossiness but, from cuteneo's pictures, the shield seems to give it a cheap plastic texture.

I was wondering if anyone had stories of delight or horror to share about their experience with the shield. Also, I would greatly appreciate any additional pictures that might put my mind at ease.

Thanks in advance.

3. warhead56k

warhead56k Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey I was wondering if the shield makes the laptop more hot? I have it on my macbook and it raises the temperture a bit.

4. nomoredell

nomoredell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ad.

+rep, coupon works! with 50% off, final price is $19.97.

5. shifty88

shifty88 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Also got that code working. Bought a Ipod Touch cover though, going to way to make sure I like the XPS16 (if it even arrives) before I buy one of those. Hopefully another 50% offer will come along.

6. nomoredell

nomoredell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    just bought one shield for studio 16 from zagg, final price is $22.96 by paypal. item is $19.97+$2.99 usps 1st class shipping.

7. Tempted

Tempted Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have also just ordered one today after receiving the email about 50%.

I bought one of these for my iPhone and I must admit it was a complete and utter pain to fit. I did a perfect job, but after a month or so some of the edges have begun to peel and have dirt under them. It does a good job of protecting it though and keeps the aesthetics of the device until you check up close.

Given the price, I thought I'd get one for my SXPS 16 and give it a try. If it ruins the look too much, then I'll take it off. On such a large surface, I feel it will detract from the appearance, but my biggest objective is to keep the device looking like new for the entirety of it's life.

8. Odibil

Reputations:
    Just reminding everyone that today is the last day to use the 50% off coupon code "MEMDAY09" toward an invisibleSHIELD for your Studio XPS 16.

Also a final request for anyone with additional pictures of their new shields.

9. Jeroentje91

Jeroentje91 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I finaly recieved mine!
    Unfortunately I'm not able to upload pictures right now but I will try to describe my experiences.

Installation:
    People when you try to install the shield please call a friend to help because it is almost impossible to apply the shield perfect on you own! Second make sure you use the shieldspray a lot, otherwise the shield will stick immediately and it is then impossible to remove the imperfections. After squeezing for about an hour the shield looked okay, although with some air bubbles that I couldn't remove and some imperfections.

3 days later
    At this moment my lapp looks amazing I have to say! Most of the bubbles and imperfections are gone and the laptop still has its shiny look. But most important without the fingerprints! I already tried with a knife to scratch it, but it is impossible :)
    I didn't apply the palmrest and touchpad shields because in my opinion that is not needed. I just wanted protection from scratches.

For the info, the big shield protects the whole top of the lid including the aluminium strip and a part from the hinges. Only the leader is free of protection.

EDIT: I managed to upload some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Odibil

Reputations:
    Thanks so much for sharing your experience; the high-quality pictures are greatly appreciated.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I was just wondering what you think about the texture of the shield.

It appears to be very glossy, but that may just be the lighting. It also appears to give a rough painted plastic look, but that may again be due to the lighting.

Any thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.