Introducing the new Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR — Apple

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by hmscott, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It has an Apple logo.

2. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    It made logical sense for Jobs to cross the great divide and welcome Microsoft as an ally. Apple was in trouble, but Microsoft made the most logical sense on many levels as referenced by @hmscott . If Microsoft hadn't panned
    out we can't assume there weren't other avenues to pursue.

In addition, Microsoft was facing serious antitrust scrutiny. Apple going under would have made that scrutiny even more focused as they could be seen as having an even tighter monopoly on desktop computing with Windows / DOS.

Let's not also forget Jobs came back and streamlined Apple's ridiculous amount of projects, products and refocused specifically on 4 specific markets/approach. He really cut costs and got them back on track.

Microsoft was just one piece in the Apple rebirth puzzle.

With that being stated, since jobs passed away in 2011, I feel that Apple has slowly drifted again and there is no way some design decisions would have passed the Jobs touch and feel test (most notably the Butterfly keyboard). I also feel that
    Apple is slowly, but surely, moving OSX towards a weird iOS hybrid while separating forking iOS with iPadOS which will further converge many features with OSX and not always for the better.

As for the Mac Pro? Like I said earlier, the valid market for comparison are similar workstations from HP and Dell not consumer grade desktop build outs. I'd like to see some comparable hardware pricing debates.

The market is still out on the new display in terms of where it ranks. Is it a reference monitor quality display? If so, the price is a bargain. If it is just a notch above their 5k display with insane sustained nits then not so much.

Either way, the Mac Pro is WAY out of my league price and need wise, but it isn't designed for my workflow.

Vasudev, custom90gt and hmscott like this.
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Gotcha!

4. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm sure they know what they're doing. Like I mentioned they really seem to be taking notes from RED. So professionals that have such deep pockets that they probably just pay what Apple asks and never second guess it. And if the machine is making you money it's probably still worth it to said customer.

Though as many have pointed out there are alot of alternatives that make sense for us mere mortals.

custom90gt likes this.
  5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There are alternatives for professionals too. I know a few graphics and media pros in my area who have moved exclusively to surface products. They love their studio devices to create on since the monitor is bright, touch screen and pen capable. They have one machine to do everything

Terreos likes this.
  6. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Exactly and in some cases not only are the alternatives cheaper but better. Apple has become what most large corporations turn into. They regurgitate the same tired products, charge more, create future repairs that become expensive and take away options for the customers who want to service their own products.

I agree that the Surface devices work well for some professionals vs what Apple offers.

kojack and hmscott like this.
  7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am waiting for dell to release something like the studio. They started with the canvas, I don't think that's selling well because it still needs extra computer, monitor etc....ALL IN ONE dell. Then you have a winner. Lenovo has a studio type device too. It's awesome as well. I am in a current state of computer limbo. I want the surface book 2 but I hate that floppy hinge. So I am probably going to get the new xps 13 2 in 1 maxed out. Same with my wife, I was looking at trying to source a blush surface book for her. Again, The dell xps 13 with rose gold and white would be a great substitute for that device.

8. Aroc

Aroc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It took me not too long to realize that whatever Apple does/did with the 2012 Mac Pros, or the 2013 Mac Pros, or the 2019 Mac Pro doesn't matter to me. Nor does it matter than Apple does not offer spiritual descendent of the $1500 G4 Tower (upgradeable, barebones, enthusiast platform) or the often pined-for xMac or eMac .

Since Apple does little-to-nothing to stop me from building hackintoshes, I'm good. And it's no more complicated than a 1990s Linux distribution to spec, build, install, and support. I can build what I want, the way I want it, and put whatever OS on it at will. Mac, Windows, or Linux.

I realized there's nothing for me to debate since I'm getting exactly what I would have wanted anyway.

jclausius, hmscott and Eclipse2016 like this.
  9. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How easy is it to get Mac OS fully functioning on a laptop?

hmscott likes this.
  10. Aroc

Aroc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Pretty easy if you buy a Apple laptop, like a $800 Air from microcenter. ;)

Otherwise, installing macOS on a non-Apple laptop is not easy. That is the one downfall of a hackintosh. Fortunately for me, this is a non issue. For others, this is a showstopper for a 'Hack.

The hackintosh community is really set up IMO to build a Mac Pro, not a Macbook Pro. ;)

hmscott likes this.