Introducing the new Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR — Apple

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by hmscott, Jun 3, 2019.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Wow, it's new, and it's finally here. :)

And... 2+ years late, way over-engineered, way over-priced, way too shiny, and still uses Intel CPU's - which Apple has already said loses 40% performance when full security protections are enabled.

Not to mention that even the lowest end configuration is well outside the means of most Macintosh OSX fan's.

If Apple stopped trying to take so much money with every dollar sold, and began helping their fellow man by providing entry level computers, phones, tablets, products that everyone can afford, then Apple would have something to be proud of.

I'm sure Apple can figure out how to make it happen. Apple can certainly afford to make it happen. :)

Introducing the new Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR — Apple
    Apple
    Published on Jun 3, 2019
    Introducing the most configurable, expandable Mac ever and the world’s best pro display. Mac Pro has a Xeon processor with up to 28 cores, numerous expansion slots, and the most memory capacity ever in a Mac. It also offers the world’s most powerful graphics card and a new accelerator card that eliminates the need for proxy workflows. Pro Display XDR completes the system with a 32-inch, Retina 6K display delivering extreme dynamic range, a P3 wide color gamut, and remarkable contrast ratio. Coming Fall 2019.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    jclausius and Arrrrbol like this.
  2. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    The keynote was impressive but it’s an overkill for the average computer user. The starting price was what I expected for the base model at $5,999. The new 6K monitor was a tad on the high side at $4,999 and the monitor stand at $999 was rather laughable.

This is definitely geared towards the Pro market and you can see why film or music studios would easily justify the cost of a high end setup.

Arrrrbol and hmscott like this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    And, some shaky-cam coverage of the WWDC show floor, some new hardware views...

What is up with that $999 "stand"? First no fast charger, then no headphone port, now the darned monitor can't even stand up on it's own out of the box??

Sheez Apple, why not sell us the cardboard box for $250? Apple can make it a BYOB deal like the grocery stores, bring your own bag. ;)

New Mac Pro Hands On
    Jonathan Morrison
    Streamed live 24 minutes ago

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Apple has made no illusions that this would be for the home user, which is perfectly fine. I was secretly hoping for a $4,999 base price but am not at all surprised where it ended up. Still, kudos to Apple for delivering a machine that is highly configurable and upgradable. Would that they could bring that philosophy down to their consumer-oriented products again.

Arrrrbol and hmscott like this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Yeah, while the rest of the world figured out how to build a $500 - $2000 PC and live on it just fine, Apple has to build a $5999 Chrome "Hanging Flower Box" and sell it over-stuffed with over-engineered expansion crap that no one needs, so Apple can continue to over-charge the Apple-Sheeple's that will max out the configuration "just because" and blow $20k++...

The Apple 6k Display Monitor Stand is an over-engineered angle bracket for $999, plus $6000 for the monitor, times 6 driven monitors = ($5000 + $1000) x 6 = $36,000!!

Ridiculous. Applediculous. :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    jclausius, Arrrrbol and Rodster like this.
  6. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    That's why I decided NOT to buy the 2018 Mini and I really wanted to replace my 2012 Mini. Not gonna happen when they make 128GB the default storage, charge an additional $200 for 256GB storage, then solder the freaking SSD Storage to the motherboard. And to add insult to injury, if you want to upgrade the amount of memory it requires the end user to either pay Apple to install it or the end user has to disassemble the entire Mini and remove the motherboard to upgrade the RAM. And if the end user breaks something, there's a good chance that's not covered under warranty.

So instead I went with a new Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny with almost the exact same config as the 2018 Mini with 256GB M2 Storage for $398. I was relieved to hear that my Mini will get Catalina so i'm going to buy an internal SSD drive to increase the speed. That should take me to the next four years when Apple will probably refresh the Mac Mini again.

jclausius, Arrrrbol and hmscott like this.
  7. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    I thought I heard that monitor stand was $999? Maybe I heard wrong but there was something announced today for the Mac Pro that cost $999. That said, I have no issues with what Apple is charging for the MP. It really was engineered and designed for Professional Studios in the Film and Music industries. That's who will pay that kind of money and will probably max out the configurations. Developers will probably buy the base model which should serve them well.

8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Yup, it's $999... fixed my post, wholly cow that's an ungodly amount just for a stand. What else are you supposed to do without a stand? So that's why I heard it as a $6000 monitor, $5000+$1000.

The Stand for Apple's New $4,999 Pro Display Costs an Extra $999
    Monday June 3, 2019 2:57 PM PDT by Joe Rossignol
    https://www.macrumors.com/2019/06/03/apple-pro-display-xdr-stand-costs-extra-999/

"Apple's press release:
    "The all-new Mac Pro starts at $5,999 and will be available to order in the fall. Pro Display XDR starts at $4,999, the Pro Stand is $999 and the VESA Mount Adapter is $199. All will be available to order in the fall."

The display will be available in the fall, starting at $4,999, but that price doesn't include the stand. If you want the display to come on Apple's stand, as it is shown in official product images, that'll cost an extra $999. Unsurprisingly, the reaction to this news has been quite strong across social media.

"everyone was freaking out about a $999 iPhone was but now apple is really out here selling a monitor stand seperately for an extra $999 pic.twitter.com/yOwiedDgLe "
    — Andrew Lowe (@andrewlowe) June 3, 2019

"You spend $5,999 on a monitor and it includes no way to mount it out of the box. Wanna put it on a VESA stand? $199. Want to put it on Apple’s stand? $999."
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    — Quinn Nelson (@SnazzyQ) June 3, 2019

"The *stand* for Apple’s new monitor will cost $999. That’s the cost for the stand. THE STAND"
    — Dave Lee (@DaveLeeBBC) June 3, 2019

"apple really charging $999 for a monitor stand pic.twitter.com/M9CbNMuWVh "
    — T9 (@Thafnine) June 3, 2019

The display will accompany Apple's all-new modular Mac Pro, which will also be available in the fall starting at $5,999."

Comments

Update: They didn't include a link / quote, but someone commented that it *does* come with an included stand, and the $999 one is an "extra special" option. Perhaps an Apple Sheeple dreaming out loud?

Yup, the Apple Pro Display XDR "In the Box" doesn't show a stand as included, but you do get a "polishing cloth" included... :)
    https://www.apple.com/pro-display-xdr/specs/

9. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    The thing about the monitor is that unless you truly just want Apple's monitor you can probably save 75-85% and buy a quality 4K HDTV and hook it up to the MP. All of my desktop PC's are hooked up via HDMI to my HDTV's. The only exception is my Mac Mini which is hooked up to a 5:4 Dell monitor. Nothing beats a 4:3 or 5:4 display for viewing webpages. :)

10. hmscott

Reputations:
    What I don't understand is why Apple went through with an Intel based Macintosh Pro at a time when even Apple say's the security mitigations cost up to 40% of the CPU's performance:

"...Although there are no known exploits affecting customers at the time of this writing, customers with computers at heightened risk or who run untrusted software on their Mac can optionally enable full mitigation to prevent harmful apps from exploiting these vulnerabilities.

Full mitigation requires using the Terminal app to enable an additional CPU instruction and disable hyper-threading processing technology.

This capability is available for macOS Mojave, High Sierra, and Sierra in the latest security updates and may reduce performance by up to 40 percent, with the most impact on intensive computing tasks that are highly multithreaded. Learn how to enable full mitigation.
    "
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210107

Apple says multithreaded apps are the highest affected - note that high IO tasks are highly affected too - so together high CPU / IO data processing apps, probably the main market for the new Macintosh Pro, are going to be the hardest hit when Apple force enables the full security mitigations for those expensive Intel CPU's.

Why pay $12,000 for an Intel based Macintosh Pro that will lose 40% of it's performance to security precautions?

It doesn't make sense for Apple to have done this, except Apple has been delayed so long in shipping the Macintosh Pro due to Intel bungling 10nm desktop CPU production that Apple was waiting to include in the original Macintosh Pro.

Maybe AMD wasn't ready soon enough for Apple?... that's too bad. We're gonna have to wait for the next Macintosh Pro with AMD CPU / GPU to get the "good stuff", and maybe it will be "cheaper"? ;)
    AMD Announces Vega II GPU for Macintosh Pro.JPG
    https://twitter.com/AMD/status/1135629155515547648